Question

Honor Student
augustus11
Message 1 of 21 (8,597 Views)

Ink cartridge runs out very quickly

I have a HP Deskjet F380 printer and it runs out of ink very quickly.  I am lucky to maybe print 40-50 pages without having to replace the cartridge.  This is getting very expensive.  Is it better to trash it and buy a new one that would be more cost effective.  I am very disappointed because we only use it for home use.  

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 21 (8,590 Views)

Re: Ink cartridge runs out very quickly

The 21/22 cartrdiges are rated at 190 pages black and 165 pages color using the standard print suite.  If you are printing photo's you will get much less pages.  Printing in Draft mode will give more pages (at reduced quality).  Running unnessary cleaning cycles or turning off the printer power from an external switch will use more ink.

These cartrdiges and printer are designed for a low usage environment.  If you print often enough that you are replacing the cartridges frequently you might consider a printer that uses larger cartridges.  See the HP Page Yield site for more information.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Honor Student
augustus11
Message 3 of 21 (8,587 Views)

I do not print photo's.  It is home use only and I have never gotten 190 pages out of any cartridge.  I do not run unnecessary cleaning cycles or turn off the printer.  I do not print often.  So you did not answer my question.  I print basic material only.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 4 of 21 (8,582 Views)

I do not see a question, only you can decide if a different model would be more suitable to your usage. How many print jobs do you do in a typical week?  How many pages in each?  What print settings are you using? I provided a link where you can compare various models.  

Are you replacing the cartridges when the low on ink signal is raised?  You do not need to replace the cartridges until they actually run out of ink, the low on ink signal is designed to give you an advance warning so you can have a replacement on hand when it is actually needed.

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

Student
jfrasl
Message 5 of 21 (8,420 Views)

I have a HP Photosmart 3150 All-in-One.  I recently replaced the black cartridge and I attempted to print a 73 page document.  Half way through printing, it it began to act like it had run out of ink.   This was the first print job since replacing the cartridge.  I don't know it it was the cartridge or the printer.  When I attempt to print now (even one page) it can not print the entire page.

Student
penguin1968
Message 6 of 21 (8,096 Views)

I have the same problem. I think the tech guy has a good point. Buy another printer, but from a different manufacture. HP recently settled a lawsuit recently regarding this problem.  See:

http://news.consumerreports.org/electronics/2010/11/class-action-settlement-involving-hewlett-packar...

Honor Student
LaLa1990
Message 7 of 21 (7,647 Views)

I have a HP Deskjet 3050A. The ink cartridge that came with it ran out very quickly - I had only printed about 40-50 standard black and white pages.  The same thing has just happened with the second ink cartridge I bought. I'm extremely annoyed about this.  As a Masters student I have a lot of printing to do and so far buying this printer has been a complete waste of money.  Is it possible to bring back the ink cartridge to the place of purchase for a replacement as clearly it did not function properly.   I have the printer on efficiency settings so it should not have run out this quickly.  Please can you advise me as to what to do, I am not prepared to waste money buying another cartridge. Is this a deisgn fault with this particular printer? I'm really disappointed and this has completely put me off HP for any future purchases.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 8 of 21 (7,641 Views)

Did the cartridge actually run out of ink or were you going by the low on ink indicator?  The LOI indicator gives some advance warning that the ink is running low so you can have a replacement cartrdidge on hand. 

You might find the XL version of the cartridge a better match for your needs, the XL cartridge more ink at a lower cost per page.

Honor Student
LaLa1990
Message 9 of 21 (7,630 Views)

Yes the ink actually ran out.  When I put the new cartridge in initally the warning sign saying low ink appeared.  And anyway this is besides the point as it should not have run out after printing only 50 pages. £12 for 50 pages is pretty poor value for money.

Yes but that cartridge is even more expensive and how can I be guaranteed that the same thing won't happen again? To be honest, I would like a refund for the cartridge I bought as it should not have run out that quickly or at least a replacement as it is clearly a faulty product.  Is it possible to send it back to the manufacturers? How many pages is the standard cartridge supposed to print?

Student
Hakuing
Message 10 of 21 (7,412 Views)

Me too , This is very frustrating. I am a working student. I work full time and study full time. I bought HP printer thinking it is good one.  Since i am a full time student i frequently need to print. But this printer's ink run out so rapidly that i need change it less that a month. This is just like a monthly bill. U never know whenz the ink gonna run out. and it;s very expensive too. not worth it at all. I am buying another printer. 

augustus11 wrote:

I have a HP Deskjet F380 printer and it runs out of ink very quickly.  I am lucky to maybe print 40-50 pages without having to replace the cartridge.  This is getting very expensive.  Is it better to trash it and buy a new one that would be more cost effective.  I am very disappointed because we only use it for home use.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation