Ink level showing low on refill of ink (6020 Views)
Top Student
jimqbaum
Message 1 of 23 (6,020 Views)

Ink level showing low on refill of ink

Hp Officejet j6480 All-in-One - Windows 7 - When I take my cartridge to Office Max for refill and put in printer, it reads as low/empty on the icon on the printer. Is it really low or did Office Max forget to put ink in and charge me as filled?

I have ran a alignment test and all is well on that end.

Master's Graduate
kawaii_aoi
Message 2 of 23 (6,014 Views)

Re: Ink level showing low on refill of ink

Hi jimqbaum,

It's actually an option for you to use a genuine HP cartridge and a generic cartridge for this printer. Please bear in mind that the printer failure or damage is attributable to the use of a non-HP or refilled cartridges. It will also not detect the ink levels accurately if it was handled by a third-party centre as the indicator chip inside every cartridge may have been tampered or damaged during the refill process.

You can read more on this: Can I Refill The Ink In My HP Ink Cartridge?

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Cheers! :smileyhappy:

* If this post has helped you, the White Kudos star on the left is a great way to say thanks!
* Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem so other users can benefit as well.
Top Student
jimqbaum
Message 3 of 23 (6,007 Views)

Indicator chip? Oh please thel me that is not your answer to this question.

I have been filling my HP cartridges for the black side for a long time now with no issues or degredation of print quality.

Maybee I should restate my question. Is there a reset code/procedure for the ink low indicator icon?

The color ink refill of my HP cartridge by Office Max shows that it is not full.  I hardly tink that Office Max is going to screw with the proposed "chip" in the cartridge. I have refilled my black HP cartridge many a time and not hit the "chip." Please don't take me for a fool.

Master's Graduate
kawaii_aoi
Message 4 of 23 (6,001 Views)

Hi again,

I'm sorry that you feel that way, I don't mean to mislead you with the indicator chip. I just reviewed again and found out that it's called acumen chip. This is what's inside every HP ink cartridge.

I understand the fact that you've been doing a refill for a long time now and you just got this problem about the ink levels not showing. That certain chip I'm referring to is a vital part of the ink as it's responsible in determining the ink levels of a genuine HP Cartridge. It is automatically being reset once a genuine ink cartridge has been installed on the printer. I'm sure that you're aware that HP (or any other printers) will recommend using genuine ink only.

This is what I know of your issue but feel free to seek other opinions on the forum.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Cheers! :smileyhappy:

* If this post has helped you, the White Kudos star on the left is a great way to say thanks!
* Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem so other users can benefit as well.
Honor Student
mjc52
Message 5 of 23 (5,996 Views)

I installed a brand new, out of the box, color printer cartridge (HP) and then proceeded to print four 8"x11" color pages.  The cartridge is now showing empty and requires replacing.  I believe that I paid around $30 for this new HP color cartridge and only got 4 pages out of it.   Is something is wrong or HP is ripping off the consumer like most other printer manufacturers.

PhD Student
bassergitz
Message 6 of 23 (5,983 Views)

Hi mjc52...

kawai is right...printer damage is highly attributed to using non-genuine HP cartridge or refilling HP carts.

The damage might not take effect right away but in the long run, it will.

So, in your case by refilling the carts it worked for some time. Now, the damage has settled in.

You have replaced the refilled carts with HP genuine carts...i believe your printer has already been compromised due to the refill process.

HP is not ripping off customers...ink refill companies would like you to believe that you save by refilling the carts but it has it's long term disadvantages. 

Although I am working on behalf of HP, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Love Kudos! If you feel my post has helped you please click the White Kudos! Star just below my name : )
If you feel my answer has fixed your problem please click 'Mark As Solution' and make it easier for others to find help quickly : )
Happy Troubleshooting : )
Top Student
jimqbaum
Message 7 of 23 (5,978 Views)

I guess they forgot to put their precious "acumen chip" in that batch.

What a bunch of Bravo Sierra! "acumen chip"

Honor Student
mjc52
Message 8 of 23 (5,972 Views)

I have not compromised the printer.  I have used only new HP printer cartridges, not refills.  When you pay a $30+ cartridge you would expect that it print more than 4 pages.

Top Student
jimqbaum
Message 9 of 23 (5,963 Views)

So, I see they got you drinking from the company punch bowl and liking it.

Not so about using non HP refills. Again, been doing this for years now and no problems with printers operating just fine.

Don't believe everything upstairs office tells you. This is something that you will obviously learn the hard way. What a shame.

Selling ink at astronomically high prices is what keeps the lights on at HP.  Don't believe it, just take a look at how much space is allocated to the isles of Staples or OfficeMax.  Just like the isles of breakfast serial or dog food at a grocery store. That's where the highest profit margins are.

As you grow intellectually you will begin to question authority and realize that we have been given a line of #@!* for a long time,and now it's time the sleeper is awakened.  Don't let your early years go by wasted in the lie. Think for yourself!

PhD Student
bassergitz
Message 10 of 23 (5,953 Views)

Thanks for the feedback jimqbaum...

i'm no sleeper...i'm aware of all the things you are talking about.

We're just doing our best to help in any way that we can.
Although I am working on behalf of HP, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Love Kudos! If you feel my post has helped you please click the White Kudos! Star just below my name : )
If you feel my answer has fixed your problem please click 'Mark As Solution' and make it easier for others to find help quickly : )
Happy Troubleshooting : )
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation