Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Replaced the print cartridges on my J4680 this week with new 901XL. Characters printed have a shadow image slightly below each character. I have aligned the cartridges, performed the basic and intermediate cleaning functions, cleaned the contact points on the cartridge and on the carrier with distilled water - nothing helps.

Took the first set back to Staples and exchanged for yet another new set of cartridges.  Problem persists.

Ironically, if I reinsert the old cartridge the print image is fine (although weak since the cartridge was low on ink).

Cartridge is new in box official HP purchased at Staples, and has a shelf date good through 2014.

Scanned image attached so you can see what I'm talking about.  

Any ideas on what to do next?

scan0001.jpg

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello.  Looking at the steps you have listed, I think you followed one of our documents for the black Text being of poor quality. It looks like you tried every step except for the one where you take the cartridge out of the printer and let it rest for 2 hours. I will link to that document so you can review that step in detail if you wish to try it.  If after that it still not working correctly, I would do an alignment of the cartridges from the set up menu under tools on the front panel of the printer.  Here is that link I promised. http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01346640

I am a former employee of HP...
How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved?
HP Recommended

I did exactly as outlined. Problem persists.

Here is one interesting note: If I go to Printer Properties, select the Color tab, opt for "Print in grayscale" and select 'Black print cartridge only,' the print (although only in black) comes out clean!

Obviously that is a problem if the document has any color on it, but that provides some insight as to where the problem may come from.

Again, note: both the black and color cartridges are brand new.

HP Recommended

I'm having the same exact problem here.  And the same workaround yields the same results - print in grayscale with black cartridge only and the shadow disappears.  Has anyone gotten resolution on this?

@n1805bn wrote:

I did exactly as outlined. Problem persists.

Here is one interesting note: If I go to Printer Properties, select the Color tab, opt for "Print in grayscale" and select 'Black print cartridge only,' the print (although only in black) comes out clean!

Obviously that is a problem if the document has any color on it, but that provides some insight as to where the problem may come from.

Again, note: both the black and color cartridges are brand new.

HP Recommended

Having same problem, is there any resolution for this issue?

HP Recommended

Hi Paul, does it persist even after changing the cartridge?

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

Yes Ciara, this has been going on thru several cartridge changes.  Not quite sure when it started. 

For quite a while I've been using the 901xl, hmmm wonder if its related to the large volume cartridge..?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.