K5400 printhead problem (2994 Views)
Honor Student
Holly14
Message 1 of 3 (2,994 Views)

K5400 printhead problem

We have been using an Officejet Pro K5400dtn in a home office network under Windows XP SP2. We bought the printer 11 months ago and it has been working fine. Until 2 days ago. During a print job, it stopped printing and ALL the lights on the panel of the printer were blinking rapidly. I had to unplug the power cord to undo that. After that the printer indicated that the cyan/magenta printhead would need replacing. The respective light was blinking on the panel and the embedded web server was telling that, too. The printer would not print any more. I took the printhead out and tried to clean the contacts (accoding to the handbook). It did not make a difference. I left the printer turned off over night. When I switched it on the next day, the printer indicated that the yellow/black printhead would need replacing now but not the cyan/magenta one. It appears that the printer cannot make up his mind which one it is. That does not instill any confidence that changing the printhead will fix the problem. Also the embedded print server tells me that there is still warranty on those printheads until May 2010. What can I do?
Honor Student
folland66
Message 2 of 3 (490 Views)

Re: K5400 printhead problem

I have the same problem- I have lost count on the number of times I have cleaned the printhead contacts and like yourself the printer cannot make up its mind which printhead is the problem.

Did you get your problem sorted?

Distinguished Professor
Ciara_B
Message 3 of 3 (222 Views)

Re: K5400 printhead problem

Hi

Have you also tried cleaning the contacts in the printer?

Figure 4: Cleaning contact points

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Twitter: @Ciara_B_HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation