Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

In other word ist is an expensive piece of **bleep**

HP Recommended

In other word never buy a multlifunction machine because on bad function loesd all the res!!!!

HP Recommended

Maybe better design so cartridges and print heads don't dry out with out daily use

HP Recommended

I have the same problem, but I am using the printer as a printer.  I'm getting the error message that "the following printhead(s) have a problem:  yellow/black."

I notice that all the solutions given below start with:  "replace the printhead(s)."  I have replaced both printheads, and I have performed the reset, and I still have the error message.

What do I do now?  I went out and bought TWO new printheads yesterday.  I can't give up on this now.

HP Recommended

Just to update the thread since I am still getting replies. The bottom line is they provided no solution.  So I was stuck with the workaround by using the web interface to scan.

I did receive a call from  HP to discuss the issue back around the time of my last post.  I was offered a very small discount towards a newer printer for my troubles which was ridiculous.  My printer was only a couple years old, was very expensive at the time and rarely used.  It would not have been so bad if I could have used a discount for the print head but it was only towards a new printer.

No technical solution was provided and I was told it is an out of warranty printer so "what did you expect". What I did expect is for the printer ROM not to cripple the entire multifunction on error and at least for support to provide a simple ROM update to fix such issues like most software/hardware companies do.  I expected for this very expensive printer at the time that its parts would last like HP printers used to.

I can only surmise by HP's handling of this issue that the ROM design was intentional to screw their customers and force many to replace their printers with a new model every year or replace expensive print heads regularly whether they needed to be replaced or not.  As demonstrated for some it does not matter since even if they replace the print head they still get the print head error and the mulit-function is effectively crippled.   HP obviously does not care since that is their sleazy business model.

Now again this all goes back a few years and I have not been following HP printer division since then so have no idea if they are still operating under this sleazy business model or have made good for the people they intentionally screwed in the past. (they obviously did not make good in my case)

For me I simply stopped purchasing or recommending HP printers after that experience since I considered the tactic as effectively stealing from their customers in the same manner as an organized crime syndicate would operate.

HP Recommended

I concur fully. What a waste

HP Recommended

I like the idea of using the web interface and will try it.  I'll just add some of my previous work-arounds for my similar L7650 (which can't be fixed anymore for printing due to discontinuation/NLA of some ink feed parts).  1) Scanning to usb stick is possible if begun immediately as the unit boots up if the scan is started before the unit shows any error messages.  2) it's hit or miss, but át least some error messages can be avoided if the printer happens to get opened (against screen warning) while attempting to run it's internal alignment test - use a stopwatch and find what works and/or just don't turn it off again or the trick has to be repeated.

HP Recommended

The very reason I no longer use HP products...

HP Recommended
I used an B&W HP laser printer for years that performed very well. For that reason, I not only recommended HP products, but I purchased this Officejet Pro 8500 all-in-one. Like many others, I restricted my use of the printing because of the cost of ink. And, like many others, the ink dried up in the printhead and ink lines.

I have spent $180 getting new ink and printhead this week, and I still cannot get this unit to print. I have the message: "The following printhead has a problem: black/yellow [K/Y]."

All I needed to do yesterday was scan. I cannot even do that. As a controls engineer, the reasoning behind this state-machine logic fails to make common sense.

I have since purchased a Brother printer and have been more than pleased with it. So much, in fact, that I now have a new printer recommendation other than HP. It is long time that we give up on this company ever producing good products again, like it used to do. Tell your friends.... stay away from HP products.
HP Recommended

I created an account specifically to voice my hatred of how awful hp's management of this pathetically obvious design flaw has been.

The fact that a product I spent a great deal of money on, simply does not work, enrages me. It enrages me even more, that what I am trying to use functions as perfectly as the day I bought it, but I can't use it without a printhead error message.

I understand that these are 'all in one' devices, but you should honestly stop selling them if the lack of magenta or the printhead ruins the entire unit.

Yes, there are some workarounds, such as using the computer to initiate a scan, or the IP adress trick, but quite simply, hp, there shouldn't have to be.

The useless recomendation from your 'support' desk is to simply buy another printer or even more infuriatingly discuss how we should have bought a different item - I cannot believe that these were serious suggestions from you! It would be funny if it wasn't so ridicolous. After purchasing an item of yours, which was not cheap, when it fails to work for no understandable reason, you show the worst customer service I have ever seen in my entire life.

Yes, we know we should have bought another product, we can see that now, and I think we all stand in solidarity in saying that hp won't be the manufacturer of it. 

The very least you can do, is give us a workaround so that we can use the fully functional parts of your stupid machine, or I promise, I swear, and I pledge - neither I, or any living person I know, til the end of the world will ever buy one of your products again.

I honestly wonder how hp is still turning a profit, because I know for a fact they have barely any repeat customers.

If hp sold a car, a tear in the seat would probably stop the engine running...

I know you have a 'thumbs up' button, but you need a thumbs down one also, so I can show just how pathetically useless and awful the advice given here has been. You suggest a link to purchase a new scanner? 

I understand that we will need to replace the printhead to use the printer, BUT WE ARE NOT TRYING TO USE THE BLASTED PRINTER ARE WE.

"If you just needed a scanner and fax you should consider a standalone scanner and fax unit. "

I hope, dearly, that someone yelled at someone for this advice - it is the most offensive thing I have read a customer service representitive say. "well you should have bought something else, we think you're idiots and we're not interested in helping you' you might as well say - this is honestly unbelievable.

I promise to boycott your products, I will never be conned into purchasing such a money grabbing, useless, inneffective and problem plagued unit again - I hope for the sake of your company, you get some sense and stop ripping off consumers. At the very least, when they come to you with problems, don't mock them.

I've left no contact information on this profile because I don't want the problem just solved for me - All hp customers who have been shafted by this garbage, past, future and present - all deserve an actual solution, and a god **bleep** heartfelt apology.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.