Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

yes, but it is a genuine HP cartridge, I've cahnged it, it has acknowledged it's authenticity, but 1 user still cannot print, eaCH TIME THIS MESSAGE APPEARS & WILL NOT PRINT FOR HIM

HP Recommended
  • Most times the used supply message relates to using a toner cartridge that had been used in another printer in this printer. Since the chip on the supply is written to each time it is used and the each printer stores information on toner usage in its own memory, sometimes the printer gets confused and gives the message. As long as the printer works do not worry about it. To get information as to which supply is causing the error run a supplies info report from the printer or the toolbox and it should tell you.
HP Recommended

ACTUAL SOLUTION HERE

Just want to start by saying that the solution given to this problem sucks. Basically, just throw out the toner you have in there now, and put in a new one lollll. Yea, not gonna do that. Anyway, here it is. Very simple. Go to:

Control Panel -> Devices & Printers -> Right click on the HP printer -> Printer Properties -> Device Settings -> Status Messages - Turn to Off

Problem solved 🙂

Pretty simple, but don't be mad at yourself. I got used to this issue for the past year, until I just figured it out. Figured I'd share.

Happy Printing !

HP Recommended

eb1985, I want to thank you for actually providing an answer to the question asked. I print hundereds of times per day at work and this was a serious inconvenience! Every time I looked for an answer to this I felt like it was all HP employees trying to get people to use more HP toner instead of helping to actually fix the issue 😛 

HP Recommended

I am also going through same issue. I think m1212 is very sensitive about the cartridge used. 

HP Recommended

Thank you for the information.  I followed what you said, but after I got to Device Settings there was no "Status Messages."  Is there another way to find "Status Messages?"    

HP Recommended

Okay, I tried something else.  I came across the following post for turning off Status Messages (for Windows 8):

Then Control Panel, then Printer And Devices

Then Look Up Top... Click On... Print Server Properties

Next At Top, Click On Advanced... You should see...

1. Show Information Notifications For Local Printers

2. Show Information Notifications For Network Printers

UNCHECK BOTH.... Click Apply

I tried this, and the message "Used Supply in Use" persists.  I tried turning in and off the printer (for 60 seconds) and that did not work either.  So I'm back where I started.  Any thoughts?  Thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.