Question

Student
koaquin
Message 1 of 4 (132 Views)

Lost the ability to see how much ink remains in cartridges

I have the Officejet 6500A printer.  Used to be able to go to Control Panel, printers & devices, and when I clicked on my printer, I had the ability to open a window that showed how much ink remained in the cartridges.   That option has disappeared.  Any ideas what happened and how to get it back?  Thanks. 

Provost
ShlomiL
Message 2 of 4 (121 Views)

Re: Lost the ability to see how much ink remains in cartridges

Hi,

More likely that happens due to a Microsoft Update.

From teh Start menu go to Programs > HP > HP Officejet 6500A and open the printer software (HP Officejet 6500A)

You should see the ink levels at the top right section of the Printer Assistant dialog.

If the Printer Assistant is not available, follow the Uninstall within the HP Officejet 6500A folder and then install the latest software below, then the ink levels should become available within the HP Printer Assistant software:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-109389-2&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...

Shlomi

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post.
If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as as Accepted Solution :smileyhappy:
Honor Student
Rosy9
Message 3 of 4 (110 Views)

Where do you find "programs" in the Start Menu of Windows 8.1?     I hate Windows 8 and 8.1, all those stupid "charms" when what grown-ups want are LISTS!   Thank you ~  Rosy9

Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 4 of 4 (105 Views)

Rosy,

I cannot fix Windows 8.1 so you like it -- that is not possible.

• You can, to a large extent control the Charms and even ignore them for the most part.  You can "switch off" live tiles that you do not use but want to keep around (Right Click), you can remove those tiles you just do not want on the Start Screen, and you can add programs that make sense for your setup.

• You can set your TaskBar properties (under Navigation) so the charms do not "pop", if you like.

• You can set your Taskbar properties (under Navigation) so the Desktop shows on Start (and bypasses the Start Screen).
  • You can set the Apps category view (explained below) in your Taskbar properties, too.  This changes the view of the Start Screen to a List-like setup, although it is true that the view still contains icons.

For Windowds 8.1 after the recent 8.1 Update has been applied:

The "start" menu may be in the corner of your TaskBar as a little white "window pane" >

Right-Click on the Window Pane to see a modified List format.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If your setup lacks that Window Pane start, then the following will work regardless:

Click the Windows key (opens the Start Screen)

Type anywhere on the screen > a word, a piece of the word, whatever you are looking for >

Click on the selection to open it

From the Start Screen you might see a "Down Arrow" in the lower left of the Start Screen >

Click on the "down arrow" to see a list of your Applications and Programs installed on the computer >

When that list has been displayed, up next to the word "Apps", see by category >

Right-Click on by category to change the list format

Windows key + w (opens Search)

Windows key + x  (opens the  Menu)

Windows Keyboard Shortcuts

From Microsoft:

Getting Around your PC -- For touch, mouse, and keyboard

===========================================================================

If you are interested in reading more about the subject, I have the following available.  The document is somewhat cobbled together and the content is largely directed to Windows 8; there are some bits for Windows 8.1 interspersed throughout.

Open the file > Click on Download > Click “Open in Adobe Reader”

Windows 8 Features – A Quick Tour

Click the Kudos Thumbs-Up to say Thank You for the help.

Although I strive to reflect HP's best practices, I do not work for HP. 

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation