05-02-2014 11:07 PM
I have the Officejet 6500A printer. Used to be able to go to Control Panel, printers & devices, and when I clicked on my printer, I had the ability to open a window that showed how much ink remained in the cartridges. That option has disappeared. Any ideas what happened and how to get it back? Thanks.
05-03-2014 01:29 AM
More likely that happens due to a Microsoft Update.
From teh Start menu go to Programs > HP > HP Officejet 6500A and open the printer software (HP Officejet 6500A)
You should see the ink levels at the top right section of the Printer Assistant dialog.
If the Printer Assistant is not available, follow the Uninstall within the HP Officejet 6500A folder and then install the latest software below, then the ink levels should become available within the HP Printer Assistant software:
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution
05-03-2014 01:25 PM
Where do you find "programs" in the Start Menu of Windows 8.1? I hate Windows 8 and 8.1, all those stupid "charms" when what grown-ups want are LISTS! Thank you ~ Rosy9
05-03-2014 03:34 PM
I cannot fix Windows 8.1 so you like it -- that is not possible.
- You can, to a large extent control the Charms and even ignore them for the most part. You can "switch off" live tiles that you do not use but want to keep around (Right Click), you can remove those tiles you just do not want on the Start Screen, and you can add programs that make sense for your setup.
- You can set your TaskBar properties (under Navigation) so the charms do not "pop", if you like.
- You can set your Taskbar properties (under Navigation) so the Desktop shows on Start (and bypasses the Start Screen).
- You can set the Apps category view (explained below) in your Taskbar properties, too. This changes the view of the Start Screen to a List-like setup, although it is true that the view still contains icons.
For Windowds 8.1 after the recent 8.1 Update has been applied:
The "start" menu may be in the corner of your TaskBar as a little white "window pane" >
Right-Click on the Window Pane to see a modified List format.
If your setup lacks that Window Pane start, then the following will work regardless:
Click the Windows key (opens the Start Screen)
Type anywhere on the screen > a word, a piece of the word, whatever you are looking for >
Click on the selection to open it
From the Start Screen you might see a "Down Arrow" in the lower left of the Start Screen >
Click on the "down arrow" to see a list of your Applications and Programs installed on the computer >
When that list has been displayed, up next to the word "Apps", see by category >
Right-Click on by category to change the list format
Windows key + w (opens Search)
Windows key + x (opens the Menu)
If you are interested in reading more about the subject, I have the following available. The document is somewhat cobbled together and the content is largely directed to Windows 8; there are some bits for Windows 8.1 interspersed throughout.
Open the file > Click on Download > Click “Open in Adobe Reader”
Click the Kudos Thumbs-Up to say Thank You for the help.
Although I strive to reflect HP's best practices, I do not work for HP.
- Printer Prints a Blank Page or Does Not Print Black or Color Ink for the HP Officejet 6500 All-in-One Printer Series
- What Is HP Instant Ink?
- HP Printers - Which Cartridges Work with My HP Printer?
- Replacing the Printhead for HP Officejet 6500 and 6500A All-in-One Printer Series
- Limited Warranty for HP Ink Cartridges and Customer-Replaceable Printheads for HP Inkjet Supplies