Low Ink Slows Printing (309 Views)
Honor Student
jqkunz
Message 1 of 4 (309 Views)

Low Ink Slows Printing

I have a LASERJET PRO 400 COLOR M451 printer series

I use it to print jobs that are between 2 and 60 pages, when the toner gets low it will print one page hang then print another. My other printer CP2025 will just stop printing once its out of toner but when its low it prints the whole job without interruption. Is there a way to make these work the same.

My operating system is Windows 7

Intern
Dovid
Message 2 of 4 (267 Views)

Re: Low Ink Slows Printing

Hi,

Hoping to help.  Can you let me know if there is a message displayed on the control panel when the printing slows down?  It might say replace XXX cartridge with XXX being cyan, magenta, etc.  Or it could say cleaning.  The messages near the end of cartridge life have changed a bit.  you should be asked if you want to continue printing if the cartridge gets low and you should be able to respond from the front panel with "how many pages" before it asks you again.  Did you see this message?

Note - I work in Laser Jet Printing at HP ((;-)
The opinions expressed here are my own and not those of HP. Kudos are appreciated if I have helped you.
Intern
Dovid
Message 3 of 4 (261 Views)

Hi again,

I have been asking other HP folk and there some further questions that would help us figure this out.  It is a very interesting observation. 

1.  when you mention that the system hangs, does it stop printing or just seem to pause a long time between pages in the jobs.  Do you have to intereact with the printer to get it to continue?

2.  Are you in a very hot environment for the printer, some times on long jobs the printing slows down as the engine insides get too hot.  This should not depend on the state of the cartridges.

3.  Do you power cycle the engine often or leave it on most of the time.  Sometimes engines that are left on will end up filling some of their memory that would be cleared by a power cycle, and this might slow things down.

4.  Have you gone out to HP.com and loaded the lastest FW version for that printer.  There have  been some upgrades (none that I know of that affect your problem, but we have not seen your case in our testing, so we don't know)

5.  At any point during the slow down, or hang, was there a message on the control panel? 

6.  Do you remember if the message you get before the slow down says one or more of the cartridges are low in life or VERY low in life?

7.  We are already trying to replicate your problem, can you also let us know what operating system you are using, the application you are printing from and the size of the file you are trying to print.  We assume that your answers will be the same during the time the engine is printing fine and the engine slows down, but if  this is not the case that would also be interesting information.

Sorry for the bevy of questions, but we would like to fix this for you!

Note - I work in Laser Jet Printing at HP ((;-)
The opinions expressed here are my own and not those of HP. Kudos are appreciated if I have helped you.
Honor Student
jqkunz
Message 4 of 4 (255 Views)

I had to change this printer out with an older printer to keep running. In answer to your questions.

1. There are several pages in the print Q and I have to tell the printer to print 50 more pages, the color still looks fine on all the pages I print.

2. I am not in a hot environment.

3. The printer is left on almost all of the time.

4. Have not looked for latest drivers.

5. No message on control panel.

6. I was getting messages of low toner that I would like to just disable and have it just stop printing until it is out.

7. Using Windows 7, application is one that is programmed in house, file size is about 4MB max.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation