Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I need help with the printer cartridge installation - i have entered cartridge number 564 in cyan, magenta, yellow, and black XL. I receive an error message that a black cartridge is missing. The first black slot is empty (has a bowtie looking design) but I have a black cartridge inserted (has a pentagon shaped icon). Printer will not print and show ink levels as low despite these four cartridges being brand new and just inserted.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

DMSimCas

Welcome to the HP Forum.

Without even knowing which mystery model of printer you own, I can tell you the "bow tie" ink cartridge is the Photo Black cartridge.

Your printer requires five cartridges:

two black:  Photo black and regular black

cyan

magenta

yellow

HP 564 Photo Ink Cartridge   (CB317WN)

HP 564XL Photo Ink Cartridge   (CB322WN)

If you like, you can order Ink from

HP SureSupply

Shipping is fast and free, at least in the USA.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Excellent explanation from Bob_Headrick regarding the need and use of the black and photo black ink cartridges used in the Photosmart 7520 and the Photosmart 7525 printers.

Excerpted:

The smaller cartridge is the photo cartridge, used for printing dark areas when photo paper is selected in the driver, or when "automatic" paper selection is enabled and the media type is detected as photo paper. It may also be used in some cases when printing graphics on plain paper. If you are printing on plain paper make sure "plain paper" is selected in the media type selection for the driver.

The Photosmart 7525 may require ink in all colors (including photo and black) to prevent clogging the printheads. See the document here for information on how ink is used. The PhotoSmart 7525 is an IIC printer in the terminology of that document.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer, HP Expert

Reference:

question regarding Photosmart 7525 / Photosmart 7520 – five ink cartridges

==================================== ====================================

Click the Kudos Thumbs-Up to show you appreciate the help and time from our Experts.

Although I strive to reflect HP's best practices, I do not work for HP. 

Click Accept as Solution when the Answer is a good Fix or Workaround!

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

DMSimCas

Welcome to the HP Forum.

Without even knowing which mystery model of printer you own, I can tell you the "bow tie" ink cartridge is the Photo Black cartridge.

Your printer requires five cartridges:

two black:  Photo black and regular black

cyan

magenta

yellow

HP 564 Photo Ink Cartridge   (CB317WN)

HP 564XL Photo Ink Cartridge   (CB322WN)

If you like, you can order Ink from

HP SureSupply

Shipping is fast and free, at least in the USA.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Excellent explanation from Bob_Headrick regarding the need and use of the black and photo black ink cartridges used in the Photosmart 7520 and the Photosmart 7525 printers.

Excerpted:

The smaller cartridge is the photo cartridge, used for printing dark areas when photo paper is selected in the driver, or when "automatic" paper selection is enabled and the media type is detected as photo paper. It may also be used in some cases when printing graphics on plain paper. If you are printing on plain paper make sure "plain paper" is selected in the media type selection for the driver.

The Photosmart 7525 may require ink in all colors (including photo and black) to prevent clogging the printheads. See the document here for information on how ink is used. The PhotoSmart 7525 is an IIC printer in the terminology of that document.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer, HP Expert

Reference:

question regarding Photosmart 7525 / Photosmart 7520 – five ink cartridges

==================================== ====================================

Click the Kudos Thumbs-Up to show you appreciate the help and time from our Experts.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Sorry - I have an HP Photosmart 7520 all in one. So I need to purchase an additional black cartridge. I purchased the regular 564 in black - no XL but it also has the pentagon symbol. I will try to purchase as CB317WN. Many Thanks! 

HP Recommended

No worries.

I almost did the same thing the first time with this same printer -- Photosmart 7520 -- and I am supposed to know better.  :generic:

Happy Printing.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

So why when youi buy a combo set of ink cartriges don't they give you the missing blak cartrige?  They just trying to make it difficult?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.