Question

Honor Student
J_F_G
Message 1 of 7 (169 Views)

Mostly Full 74XL Cartridge was "rejected" mid-use by my OfficeJet J5780

A 74XL cartridge that had been in use for probably 2 months, all of a sudden last week was deemed by my printer to no longer be useable, and the printer required its replacement.  Never said anything about bneing low or out of ink, either.

When I took it out, it seemed too heavy to be out of ink, and after finding an old, exhausted 74XL that I was saving for trade-in, it's weight is closer to that of a full 74XL than a used one.

It was almost as if my printer received an update from HP of expired or invalid cartridge IDs, and required the immediate replacement of this cartridge.  Any ideas?

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 7 (161 Views)

Re: Mostly Full 74XL Cartridge was "rejected" mid-use by my OfficeJet J5780

The 74xl cartridges do not have any mechanism for "expiring".  It is possible the cartridge has failed electrically, or it may just be an issue with the electrical connection between the printer and cartridge.  The document here may help resolve the issue.

You can check the warranty for the cartridge as described in the document here

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Honor Student
J_F_G
Message 3 of 7 (157 Views)

is there any reason a 70% isopropyl alcohol swab could not be used to clean the electrical contacts?

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 4 of 7 (154 Views)

HP recommends using water, I do not know if alcohol would cause any issues.  I have heard that a damp (but unused) coffee filter works well, I have also heard of good results with a folded dollar bill.  Make sure what ever you use does not leave any fibers on the contacts, they could cause issues.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Top Student
MuzzaMacRae
Message 5 of 7 (149 Views)

I had problems with genuine 564 xl cartridges my 3070a telling me that they were fake.. All that money buying genuine and then that insulting message. Anyone else?
Honor Student
J_F_G
Message 6 of 7 (145 Views)

Muzza -

You might be better off to post as a new topic, since it's a different issue than what I raised here.

Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 7 of 7 (96 Views)

MuzzaMacRae wrote:
I had problems with genuine 564 xl cartridges my 3070a telling me that they were fake.. All that money buying genuine and then that insulting message. Anyone else?

If it was something like a Used or Counterfeit cartridge msg then check out the link below...

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Ink-Toner-Cartridge-Printhead-Issues/Are-you-seeing-a-Used-or-Counterfe...

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Twitter: @Ciara_B_HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation