Question
My 5510 photosmart printer will not print black any longer, I have tried everything !
Replies (47)

Student
Chris_Hoskins
Message 41 of 48 (766 Views)

Re: My 5510 photosmart printer will not print black any longer, I have tried everything !

Have same problem as everyone else here... Was printing a 3 page doc, in middle of last page, text became unclear, not it will not print black in any was, via alignement page, printhead cleaning, print tests, whatever. Have even though black cartridge was 3 quaters full, swapped it out with a new one anyway, no help... 

Honor Student
Frustrated02014
Message 42 of 48 (614 Views)

Re: My 5510 photosmart printer will not print black any longer, I have tried everything !

You know what's a shame.

You all most likely know this can be a solution.

I found this soluton on you tube.

Get a damp paper towel and take out cartliges and gently wipe inside where the print head is and outside of cartliges.

This worked.

I gave HP so much money, I have a feeling that you knew this was a fix and you all don't tell people.

Getting replacement from HP is like pulling teeth, you are a billionaire company, the ink is either made in China or Germanmy -- despicable.

Student
xuhua
Message 43 of 48 (522 Views)

I have the hp photosmart printer 5514.It has stopped printing black too.Tried all way I can.still can not work.What can i do?

creativcat wrote:

I have the hp photosmart printer 5510. It has stopped printing black. I did numerous cleanings, turned if off and on using the formula stated in the help section...nothing is working and I cannot keep wasting my color ink printing test pages over and over. This is frustrating obviously there is an issue with these printers! Can i get this fixed or am i going to have to box it up and ship it back to hp???

. It has stopped printing black. I did numerous cleanings, turned if off and on using the formula stated in the help section...nothing is working

Teacher
Photokool
Message 44 of 48 (517 Views)

From the amount of posts on this issue, it appears to be a VERY common practice with current HP printers... within the first year or two, the black ink clogs up and will not print. The "clean print head" options on the printer don't accomplish anything.

I've tried ALL the suggestions -- even the paper towel with warm water on the print head -- no black ink prints.

So even though I've only put "genuine" HP cartridges in my printer -- and paid the cost that goes along with that -- that does not assure me that I can have a reliable printer.

On one of the of the other threads, someone actually marked the issue as "solved" when the person with the printer was so frustrated that that gave up and bought another printer! That was the SOLUTION!

If this is a significant issue with HP printers, then HP needs to own it and issue recalls for the printers that are affected.

My previous loyalty to HP is misplaced, I guess. My third HP laptop had a hard drive failure after only 9 months. I replaced that drive, but then the computer CPU died when it was just over two years old. It is sad.

My current printer is my third HP printer. I gave away my first one because the print cartridges were so expensive and NEVER came down in price (black ink - $35 for an ink jet!). My second one I gave to my daughter, but she says she is having problems with print cartridges now, too.

My current one is not very old... it should not need to be replaced already. Very sad!

Student
Nanahub
Message 45 of 48 (502 Views)

I cleaned the screen, has a new HP cartridge?
HP Support Agent
Sunshyn2005
Message 46 of 48 (465 Views)

Hi Nanahub,

I see you are unable to print black from your Photosmart 5510, I'd like to help.

Please complete all of the steps in the following document; Printer Does Not Print Black Ink or Color Ink, or Prints Blank Pages. Although I hope this resolves the issue, it might not. If the issue persists, please post back with your warranty status. Use the following link to check your warranty.

If your printer is still in warranty, please call HP and explain the issue you are experiencing. The number to call HP is 1-800-474-6836 for Canada and US, or you can Contact HP Worldwide.

If your printer is out of warranty, let me know and I will do my best to help. Thanks. I look forward to hearing from you.

Please also include your country/region in your next post. Thanks.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Please click the "Thumbs Up", just below, if you LIKE my post, or to say Thanks for helping!
Also, please consider marking my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Sunshyn2005

I work on behalf of HP
Top Student
thelinuxguy
Message 47 of 48 (235 Views)

[ Edited ]

I would like to say I just phoned support on this issue. My printer was out of warrenty but I got support under the cartridge warrenty.

When though the steps the young tech support guy said and vola! just like magic my new black cartridge is printing. the steps we took were

1. power down printer
  2. unplug power cable from back of printer
  3. press power button for 15 secs at least
  4. plug power cable back in printer
  5. turn it on
  6. check ink levels are OK
  7. print test form printer panel (no black ink on test)
  8. open printer and remove black cartridge
  9. with a clean tisue clean gold contact on bottom of cartridge
  10. put cartridge back in printer
  11. goto setup->tools->clean printhead
  12. print test page, black ink printing now
  13. to check it not fluke
  14. put test page on scanner
  15. goto scan -> black and then press start
  16. should now as mine was a monochome copy of test page

These are the steps it took me to get my new black ink cartridge working

Hope this helps someone

Live long and proper!

Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 48 of 48 (228 Views)

@thelinuxguy 

Glad to hear it's now resolved :smileyhappy:

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Twitter: @Ciara_B_HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation