Question
My 5510 photosmart printer will not print black any longer, I have tried everything !
Replies (47)

Student
barbara1
Message 21 of 48 (2,836 Views)

Re: My 5510 photosmart printer will not print black any longer, I have tried everything !

I purchased my HP 5510 Photosmart in April 2012- it is now out of warranty.  Last month my black ink also stopped working.  I have tried 3 different cartridges from 3 different retailers with 3 different cartridge warranty end dates.  I have followed every conceivable solution I could find online.  I have tried the steps that the guys at Best Buy/Office Depot and Staples have told me to do.

My situation is slightly different.  I can print perfectly photos on photo paper.   But I can't print to plain white paper that has been kept airtight.

I have checked for drivers and every diagnostic run says I am up to date.  

This is frustrating.  I do not want to purchase a new printer nor do I want to pay for repairs.

Is there is patch that I am not receiving?

Help!

Honor Student
MaLuSanDiego
Message 22 of 48 (2,774 Views)

Re: My 5510 photosmart printer will not print black any longer, I have tried everything !

I did what someone else mentioned earlier.  turned off the printer, unplugged from the wall and went out of town for a couple days.  When I came back, I plugged it in and turned it on and I now have black print!!  Go figure....

Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 23 of 48 (2,554 Views)

Hi babara1, so photos are fine, it's just regular paper? Does black show up on a Diagnostic Page?

Thanks, Ciara

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Twitter: @Ciara_B_HP
Honor Student
OneMist8k
Message 24 of 48 (2,522 Views)

I was one of the people posting earlier about the problems printing black ink.

Two months ago I left for a trip.  Before leaving, I unplugged the printer from the wall entirely.  For two months it sat cold and unused in the middle of the room.  When fighting with this problem previously I had tried unplugging it for a couple of hours, but that did not work.

Today I plugged the printer back in and it now prints black ink.  That seems to work.  I have NFC why that worked or how long it needs to remain unplugged to work, it just worked for me.  Somewhere between two hours and two months the problem went away.

Very strange.  

Student
aujanbh
Message 25 of 48 (2,511 Views)

Hi,

I am also having the same problem. I will try to unplug the printer for a week and hope it will work.

I had problems with this printer from the beginning. The eprint used to work then suddenly it stopped. It take a lot of trials to print from appla products using air print and now this... 

If this won't work, I am sure I won't buy HP printers anymore.

Honor Student
blorentzen
Message 26 of 48 (2,430 Views)

I've had my 5510 for over a year. No problems until a few days ago 10/7/13 when the black ink ran out. I bought two new ink cart. and neither worked. Did all the recomended fixes but nothing worked. Bought three new color and another black and still nit doesn't print black. So I'm out $60 bucks in new ink, out of warranty and not happy. I waisted 3 hours trying to fix this. After all this I find tons of other people with the same unfixable problem and it seems HP will not back up this piece of junk.

Hp owes my 60 bucks, a new printed as far as I'm concerned. My other Epson printers work year after year with 20+ cartridge changes.

Brian Lorentzen

Student
pcsboult
Message 27 of 48 (2,411 Views)

Your story could have been written by me!!! Exact problems. Returned first one because of wireless issues and printing issues. Now this one out of warranty. Printed blank pages, I purchased all new HP Cartiridges, now color will print and copy but NOT black. Have used 2 brand new black cartridges. Anyone out there with a solution?

HP Support Agent
Rainbow7000
Message 28 of 48 (2,401 Views)

Hi Brian, I see you are having issues with your Photosmart 5510 not printing in black ink. I will help you here. I found a troubleshooting document I would recommend you follow step by step to help resolve this issue.

The alignment has to be successful as well once you reach that step, that is very important.

Please also ensure the printer is plugged directly into a wall outlet. avoid power surge bars, battery backups, etc.

I really hope this helps you, good luck. Please respond to let me know the outcome.

Fixing Print Quality Problems

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

R a i n b o w 7000
I work on behalf of HP

Honor Student
Kazfam4
Message 29 of 48 (2,216 Views)

Wow, same thing just happened to me. I searched for a solution and found this forum, with an entire community of people who are experiencing the same thing. C'mon HP, you need to respond to this and offer a solution to people who have put their trust -- and money -- into your products. And it can't just be only if it is under warranty. You obviously have a defective product. Stand behind it and fix it for your customers. Customer reviews and forums have never been more powerful, and you will lose credibility — and business! — if you ignore them. I for one am watching how you resolve this. And if you don't, not only will I never buy another HP product, but I will continue to tell anyone who will listen not to do so either. Do you really want this kind of PR?

Student
Howie0
Message 30 of 48 (1,941 Views)

That is awesome Rainbow7000, along with the generic trouble shooting tips ( that haven't worked), now an HP employee wants us to "blame the paper" we use, lol, that's rich.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation