Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a 7520 & when I replaced the black photo ink, a warning came up that the cyan printhead is missing or not detected or incorrectly installed. I've replaced the cyan, but no change. I tried using a pencil eraser to the metal contacts. What else can I try?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi there patiojohn

You're better off cleaning with some kind of lint free material & distilled water. Then try cleaning the contacts in the printer itself. More details HERE

Step two: Clean the printhead

There are three areas on the printhead that need to be cleaned: the plastic ramps on both sides of the ink nozzles, the edge between the ink nozzles and the electrical contacts, and the electrical contacts.
Figure 5: The three areas on the printhead that need to be cleaned
Image: The three areas on the printhead that need to be cleaned.
1 - Plastic ramps on the sides of the nozzles
2 - Edge between nozzles and contacts
3 - Electrical contacts
CAUTIONSmiley Very Happyo not touch the ink nozzles. Do not touch the electrical contacts with your finger.
Figure 6: Do not touch the contact area with your fingers
Image: Do not touch the contact area with your fingers.
Follow these steps to clean the printhead.
  1. Gather the following cleaning materials:

2. Several clean, lint-free cloths or papers. Coffee filters and glass-cleaning cloths work well.
  3. Distilled or bottled water. Do not use tap water. Tap water can contain contaminants that can damage the printhead.
  4. Lightly dampen a clean, lint-free cloth.
  5. Use the damp cloth to wipe the electrical contacts from the bottom to the top. Do not go past the edge between the electrical contacts and the ink nozzles. Repeat this motion until no ink appears on the cloth.
    Figure 7: Clean the electrical contacts
    Image: Clean the electrical contacts.
  6. Use a fresh, lightly dampened, lint-free cloth to wipe any accumulated ink and debris from the edge between the ink nozzles and the electrical contacts.
    Figure 8: Clean the edge between the ink nozzles and the electrical contacts
    Image: Clean the edge between the ink nozzles and the electrical contacts.
  7. Use a fresh, lightly dampened, lint-free cloth to wipe the plastic ramps on both sides of the ink nozzles. Wipe away from the nozzles only.
    Figure 9: Clean the ramps
    Image: Clean the ramps.
  8. Dry the previously cleaned areas with a clean, dry, lint-free cloth.
  9. Lightly dampen a fresh, clean, lint-free cloth with bottled or distilled water.
  10. Clean the electrical contacts inside the printer by wiping them from top to bottom. Repeat this motion until no ink appears on the cloth. 
I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.