Question

Top Student
katrina_suzanne
Message 1 of 7 (757 Views)
Accepted Solution

My Photosmart C6380 All-in-One is no longer printing black ink.

It prints color OK.  It is 3 years old and has been working fine.  I have tried replacing the black ink cartridge with two different new ones.  I have turned the printer off and on, printed a test page, cleaned and aligned the printheads with no success.  Any ideas on what to try next?

Distinguished Professor
Shirlzz1
Message 2 of 7 (725 Views)

When you cleaned the printheads, did you allow for more than 1 level of cleaning? I would at least do two as each level is more forceful at trying to unclog the nozzles. You can also try changing the quality to a higher setting. At the bottom of this post I will include a link to a document that addresses faded black text for model of printer. It lists that step with others that you have mentioned trying. But it will still show how to make those changes to the settings. http://goo.gl/Ww16t

Did you manually clean the printhead? Here is a link that shows that process. I know the error message in the title that document is not the one that you are having, but it illustrates that cleaning procedure well. http://goo.gl/ruYbA. The reason to manually clean the contacts would be to make sure that build up on the contacts are not causing a print quality issue.

While you are cleaning the printhead, take note of the warranty ends date that is printed under the contacts. If you are still having a problem with the printer's output. post back and include the date from the printhead.
I am a former employee of HP...
How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved?
Top Student
katrina_suzanne
Message 3 of 7 (701 Views)

Re: My Photosmart C6380 All-in-One is no longer printing black ink.

I had only done one level of cleaning with that printhead.  Since I initially posted, I found a thread that explained manually cleaning the printhead, so I tried that.  It didn't work, so I went ahead and order a new printhead.  The new printhead arrived and after replacing it, it still is not working.  An alignment was done, and an error returned saying that failed.  It still prints color ink fine, but no black ink.  I can change the quality setting yet based on the initial reply, but haven't yet.  The date on the original printhead is 11/15/2008.  The printer was purchased in August of 2009.  I didn't check the date on the new printhead that is currently installed.  Any other suggestions on what I should try?

Distinguished Professor
Shirlzz1
Message 4 of 7 (701 Views)

I am sorry, but could you clarify one part of your post. The failed error, was that on an alignment page? Has it since successfully printing an alignment page? Or are you still getting that error message? Have you cleaned the contacts on the black cartridge? Have you done another cleaning of the printhead since installing the new one? I would repeat that just to force ink through the nozzles. Also try placing the print quality to best and see what the printer does. Do you have another black cartridge to try?
Top Student
katrina_suzanne
Message 5 of 7 (699 Views)

Several (4-5) printer alignments have failed with the message, "Alignment failure" on the printer screen.  HP Solutions states that the printer is ready.  Just completed 2 levels of cleaning, both with the same results...no black ink, but color is fine.  We changed the printer quality setting to Best with no difference.  We have 2 brand new black cartridges and have tried them both with no success.  I haven't cleaned the contacts on the new cartridges,everything looks clean.  Now we are getting Ink Level notification and the photo black cartridge is low (far left cartridge).  We will go buy another one of those and swap it out, but that shouldn't be our problem with no black printing, should it?

Distinguished Professor
Shirlzz1
Message 6 of 7 (697 Views)

Here is a link to a document that addresses alignment failure. I would look at it at do the steps that are listed in there that have not been tried since getting the new printhead. especially the reset that it lists. Here is the link; http://goo.gl/5kfuZ.

If it is just a low level ink alert and not asking for replacement do not go ahead and replace the printer. The good thing is that the new printhead should have a warranty ends date that is not expired and with that come entitlement to troubleshooting assistance from HP Total care for the print quality defect. If after that document fails, pull the new printhead and locate that date and then call HP on the failure to print black. The number for US and Canada customers is 1-800-474-6836
Top Student
katrina_suzanne
Message 7 of 7 (661 Views)

Thank you for all your help.  I just wanted to update you on what I ended up doing.  I did call HP Total Care to get customer service.  They would not troubleshoot any further without charging a fee, even with buying the new printhead.  After hearing the steps I took, they recommended buying a new printer.  I took out the new printhead and put the old one back while they were gathering information on a new printer and return on the printhead.  Once I bought a new printer through them, they informed me I could not return the purchased printhead.  The funny part is, once I put the old printhead back in, it started printing black again.  Who knows for how long, since there was obviously a problem.  So I purchased a new printer, but wasn't allowed to return the new printhead even though it didn't work and was brand new.  Very happy with your support...not so happy with HP Total Care.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation