Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a new HP Photosmart 5520 all in one printer.  The black ink ran out so I replaced it with a previously used ink cartridge that is the same type # 564 but an XL version.  This cartridge was barely used.  Now I can't get anything to print in black.  It will print in color, but not black.  I've tried shutting off the printer.  I put the cartridge back in my other printer and it worked fine.  What do I need to do?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@edgarlogcabin wrote:

my 5520 hp printer will not print black

The troubleshooting steps in the document here may help resolve issues with black not printing on your Photosmart 5520.  Especially make sure to check the vents as shown in Solution Six.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

View solution in original post

76 REPLIES 76
HP Recommended

The post here may help.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

new black ink  printer will not print 

HP Recommended

Hi 12lou,

I see that your printer is not printing black ink.  

What printer do you have?

HP Recommended

Printer won't print black, new black cartridge installed, it still won't print black. on test print color is working fine but no black print. tried turning off/unplugging and even booting computer. what else should I do. printer was bought new from Staples May 4th this year. any help welcome, thanks. other than getting a new one.

HP Recommended

HI b16,

I understand that your black ink isn't printing.  Where you able to try steps below?

Print Quality

Let me know how it goes.  

HP Recommended

i have a hpphotosmart5520 printer when i print the black information is very faint in color there is a new cartridge and it is still doing the same thing has anybody had this problem

HP Recommended

Hi irshlady,

Try running the Clean Printhead utility up to 3 times.  Click Here

If that doesn't help, you can follow the other steps in the above link that covers Print Quality issues.  Let me know if that helps.

Also, remember a click on the Kudos star to the left is a quick "Thanks" for a helpful post.

Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question.

I appreciate your input ! ___________________________________ _____

Thank You,
Rich
Expert
HP Recommended

@irshlady wrote:

i have a hpphotosmart5520 printer when i print the black information is very faint in color there is a new cartridge and it is still doing the same thing has anybody had this problem

The troubleshooting steps in the document here may help resolve issues with black not printing on your Photosmart 5520.  Especially make sure to check the vents as shown in Solution Six.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

Hello,
I just thought I’d check in to ask if you were able to resolve your issue.
Rich

Also, remember a click on the Kudos star to the left is a quick "Thanks" for a helpful post.

Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question.

I appreciate your input ! ___________________________________ _____

Thank You,
Rich
Expert
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.