Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

@cwknox wrote:

This seems to be a common thing, yet standard troubleshooting does not seem to cover it.  My printer is less than two years old, and gets used maybe once a week.  I'm on the verge of giving it to charity and buying a new one -- not HP, of couse.

It has been mentioned several times in this thread - for the Photosmart 5520 with black not printing if the troubleshooting steps fail then call HP Support as discussed in the post here

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

I just replaced all of the ink in my 5520 with genuine HP ink and surprise surprise it no longer prints Black. I have gone through all of the diagnostics and "fixes" and nothing has rectified the situation. Now I have burnt through most of the new color ink I just bought running the head cleaning utility, alignment utility, and printing test pages. Also, I have used the better part of a day now and sill have no print abilities. I have also spoken to custmer service and was informed they will not replace my faulty printer despite the fact that this is both a known issue and one which is of no fault of the user. At this point I have tossed in the towel on this 5520 as the compay that made it has so why should I continue to burn my valuble time. I will never again use an HP product and furthermore I will do everything in my power to disaude anyone I know from using one. If you buy an HP product you are a fool. They WILL NOT stand behind their products.   

HP Recommended

Hi @LAhatesHP ,

I have also brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post serial numbers and case details.

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, this post has instructions.

Please click “Accept as Solution " if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks" for helping!

Jamieson
I work on behalf of HP

"Remember, I'm pulling for you, we're all in this together!" - Red Green.
HP Recommended

@Jamieson

I appreciate you looking into this and I will say everyone I have dealt with in customer service has been helpful and understanding.  

HP Recommended

Same thing just happened to me.  I've had the printer a little over a year and have only now had to change the ink.  Now it won't print black.  I have tried all the testing mentioned here all day using almost all of my color ink that I just purchased/installed this morning!  😞  I've had it.  Don't even feel it is worth calling HP Cust Svc as it sounds like they will not do anything.  Very frustrated 😞

HP Recommended

@arosel wrote:

Same thing just happened to me.  I've had the printer a little over a year and have only now had to change the ink.  Now it won't print black.  I have tried all the testing mentioned here all day using almost all of my color ink that I just purchased/installed this morning!  😞  I've had it.  Don't even feel it is worth calling HP Cust Svc as it sounds like they will not do anything.  Very frustrated 😞

The post here has links to a troubleshooting document for the Photosmart 5520.  If you have already done the steps there and they did not resolve the issue please call HP Support, even if the printer is not longer under warranty.  In the US or Canada call 1-800-HPINVENt, elsewhere see the document here for contact information.  If the above does not give satisfactory results then please post back here.

If you do not call you will not get your issue resolved....

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Thank you,  I called cust svc...no fix.  They tried to sell me another printer at a nominal discount compared to what I could buy it for at a store (literally $3.00 cheaper).  I asked if I could think about it so I could research the printers they were offering me and was told no I had to make the decision now.  I thanked her and said no thank you.  I will be looking to buy another printer this week..

HP Recommended

Same experience here, except that when I pointed out that I was looking at the same printer they offered online for the same price, they came down $10.  I took the deal and my new (actually refurbished, but apparently perfectly functional) HP Envy 5530 printer showed up on my doorstep the next day.

HP Recommended

I cannot get my new black ink cartridge to print anything except very faint black print.  I bought a package of two cartridges and they are both the same.  I went online and I see that this is a common problem.

My cartridges are genuine HP cartridges.  What is going on with this?  I am so frustrated as I have tried everything I could think of to make it work.

HP Recommended

The post here has links to a troubleshooting document for the Photosmart 5520.  If the steps there do not resolve the issue please contact HP Support, even if the printer is no longer under warranty.   If the above does not give satisfactory results then please post back here.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.