Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

From the amount of posts on this issue, it appears to be a VERY common practice with current HP printers... within the first year or two, the black ink clogs up and will not print. The "clean print head" options on the printer don't accomplish anything.

So even though I've only put "genuine" HP cartridges in my printer -- and paid the cost that goes along with that -- that does not assure me that I can have a reliable printer.

On one of the of the other threads, someone actually marked the issue as "solved" when the person with the printer was so frustrated that that gave up and bought another printer! That was the SOLUTION!

If this is a significant issue with HP printers, then HP needs to own it and issue recalls for the printers that are affected.

I'm going to call HP today, but I don't expect much. My previous loyalty to HP is misplaced, I guess. My third HP laptop had a hard drive failure after only 9 months. I replaced that drive, but then the computer CPU died when it was just over two years old. It is sad.

My current printer is my third HP printer. I gave away my first one because the print cartridges were so expensive and NEVER came down in price (black ink - $35 for an ink jet!). My second one I gave to my daughter, but she says she is having problems with print cartridges now, too.

My current one is not very old... it should not need to be replaced already. Very sad!

HP Recommended

Hi sh2203,

I didn't hear back from you. Did you get a hold of HP. If so what was the outcome of the call. If you have not called, I strongly advise you do and let me know the outcome.

I hope to hear back from you. Thanks.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

I am VERY upset with HP right now, I feel like I've been scammed by purchasing a printer that was created to fail by having a very short lifespan! I just purchased $60 worth of replacement ink, and now my perfectly good printer is useless (I only use this printer a few times a week for my business, and it worked yesterday), and to top it off, I just wasted 90% of the new ink running useless diagnostic tests. I just called HP and I tried to express that this exact black ink issue for the 5520 is explained on the HP forums, but they still wanted me to waste more of my time and more ink by running more useless tests, so I did.

BIZARRE: The black font shows on the Print Quality Diagnostic page, but the box for the black is empty, humm. When I told that to the tech, they said that didn't matter, and the black nozzle was not working.

RESULTS: I was told that my ink nozzle/head was broken and it could cost me up to $120 to fix it (hell, that's what the printer cost)! Or....I could buy a NEW printer from HP right now over the phone 🙂 Unbelievable! So I asked for a supervisor, and Philip immediately admitted that....."YES, THERE IS A RECALL ISSUE ON THE 5520 PRINTER AND THIS IS A KNOWN ISSUE".  Finally, some honesty!

Unfortunately, my printer is 2 years old, so now I'm S.O.O.L.

As I write this, I am waiting for a call back from tech support. I will be shocked if they can fix the issue. What a waste of my time and money. I'm trying to run my business while dealing with a known glitch that HP is hiding from their customers.

I have a sick feeling that these printers were either programmed to fail, or that the black HP ink cartridge that I just purchased and installed was defective and destroyed my PERFECTLY GOOD printer. 

I have yet to read one post where someone has fixed this issue. All the posters just seem to disappear, where did they go? 

This is shameful HP, and I'm not sure if I want to buy another printer from HP knowing that it will fail so quickly. Epsons are expensive, but my last one lasted a long time!

HP Recommended

UPDATE: So I waited for HP Tech Support to call me back as promised by Supervisor Philip (2-4 hour window). And guess what, I never received a call back.

This is pitiful customer service HP, I will never recommend your product. I really wanted to work this out and leave a good review.

HP Recommended

Eperienced same bad story as everyone: no black printing although I had installed new cartridges.

I've almost emptied all my ink cartridges (but black) thru 10 or more head cleanings.

Until I removed and put the black cartrige upside down, and I poured 10 or 20 water drops into the bottom hole of the cartridge.

Then black cartridge back to its slot.

2 cleanings later, my printer has resumed correct printing...

Enjoy...!

HP Recommended

Experienced same bad story as everyone: no black printing although I had installed new cartridges.

I've almost emptied all my ink cartridges (but black) thru 10 or more head cleanings.

Until I removed and put the black cartrige upside down, and I poured 10 or 20 water drops into the bottom hole of the cartridge.

Then black cartridge back to its slot.

2 cleanings later, my printer has resumed correct printing...

Enjoy...!

HP Recommended

Hi @impishrex 

I am going to send you a private message, please check the little envelope on the top right hand corner of the forums page to check your Forums inbox.

Forums Inbox.jpg

Hi @Dan78150 

I am sorry to hear that you have had a bad experience. I am glad to hear though that you did get the printer working. If you have any further issues with the black ink please call Phone support. If you are in Canada or US call 800 474 6836, or you can Contact HP Worldwide.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended
My photosmart 5520 will not print black, i have new cartridges and cleaned print heads several times
HP Recommended

The problem is with the print cartridge not seating onto the base properly.   Thus the contact pressure needed on the ink pad is not sufficient to cause the ink to flow into the print head.  This is a cartrige manufacturing problem that HP will not admit too.   A work around that I use is to take a very small bit of cotton  (about 2 millimeter) and place it in the print cartridge ink pad ( The round whole under where you remove the orange plastic break away seal).  Then insert the cartride and wait a while to let gravity allow the ink to flow down into the print head.

HP Recommended

Hi @screwdriver 

I see you are having troubles with your black ink.

Please complete all of the steps in the following document; Printer Does Not Print Black Ink or Color Ink, or Prints Blank Pages.  Although I hope this resolves the issue, it might not. As you have a 5520, If the issue persists, I would suggest calling HP Phone Support regardless of whether it is in or out of warranty as you may require a replacement printer.

The number to call HP is 1-800-474-6836 for Canada and US, or you can Contact HP Worldwide. 

Please let me know if the document resolves the issue, or if you called HP and the outcome of the call. Thanks.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.