Not printing black ink after new ink cartridge installed (HP Officejet Pro L7555) (7423 Views)
Top Student
HPL7555
Message 1 of 9 (7,423 Views)

Not printing black ink after new ink cartridge installed (HP Officejet Pro L7555)

I have an HP Officejet Pro L7555 on which I just replaced the black ink cartridge.  Now it won't print in black at all.  I have tried cleaning the printhead multiple times to no avail.  I only get printouts of boxes in all colors except black and nothing else written on the page at the end of each printhead cleaning cycle. 

When I print the Self Test Diagnostic Page, it comes out in Magenta instead of black.  On this page, it shows that both printhead are in good condition.  The ink level on the black ink cartridge is shown to be full as would be expected for a newly installed cartridge. 

I have replaced other cartridges on this printer before, and have not had this issue.  Could anyone please help?

Regents Professor
garytech1
Message 2 of 9 (7,372 Views)

Not printing black ink after new ink cartridge installed (HP Officejet Pro L7555)

[ Edited ]

I understand your black ink isn't printing. I would take a look at this document.

Let me know how it goes.

Top Student
HPL7555
Message 3 of 9 (7,364 Views)

Re: Not printing black ink after new ink cartridge installed (HP Officejet Pro L7555)

Thanks, garytech1.  I have seen the document.

Solution 1. I have used and am using only genuine HP cartridges.  The one I recently replaced was black.  I have replaced the other colors before without problems.  

Solution 2. I am using the correct type of paper. There are no streaks on the printouts.  Any printing I try from a document with black text comes out blank. The only two types of printouts I have obtained are:

a. The Self Test Diagnostic Page, which comes out in magenta and it has no streaks.  It also lists the status of the printheads as being good.

b. The printout that follows a printhead cleaning that has all color boxes except black. There are no streaks here either.

Solution 3. I have checked the print settings (I have Windows XP SP3) and they are all correct.

Solution 4. I have printed the PQ Diagnostic page and it is all blank except for some colored boxes.  There are no streaks in them.  No grey  boxes appear.

Solution 5. There is nothing wrong with the images or documents I am trying to print.  

Solution 6. I don't see why I should have to spend $70+ to replace the black/yellow printhead when:

a. The yellow color comes out fine in the colored boxes

b. All the diagnostics (the ones that are in the installed software as well as the ones I obtained from the HP website) all show the condition of both printheads to be good, and

c. When all printing was working just fine before I replaced the cartridge.  Is there a physical way to clean the printheads since it appears from all of the above that it is the genuine HP ink that may have actually plugged it up?

Thanks for your help!

Regents Professor
garytech1
Message 4 of 9 (7,360 Views)

[ Edited ]

I would take a look at this post by BoB_Headrick some users have found it to work. Its worth a try if your printhead is out of warranty.

Click here for thread.

Let me know how it goes.

Top Student
HPL7555
Message 5 of 9 (7,344 Views)

Re: Not printing black ink after new ink cartridge installed (HP Officejet Pro L7555)

Thanks, garytech1.  I will try it out and get back to you to let you know how it turns out.

Top Student
HPL7555
Message 6 of 9 (7,299 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have just discovered that the printhead alignment is failing as well even after several attempts. 

Nevertheless, I tried following the instructions in BoB_Headrick's post even though the printers listed in the post did not match mine.  The nozzles on the removable printhead were seeping out black and yellow ink so I figured that either the hot water treatment was working, or the nozzles were never plugged to begin with.  After replacing the printhead, the alignment and cleaning procedure have now nearly exhausted the yellow ink, but I still do not see any black ink on the printouts.  All I get after cleaning is 24 color boxes (including yellow and other colors).  This is followed by an alignment process that spits out a page with three magenta "N" 's centered at the bottom of the page. 

Do you have any other suggestions?  Could the nozzles in base of the printhead (where the printhead is placed in the body of the printer) be clogged as well?  If so, how can I clean them?  Or was I supposed to clean the base and I simply misunderstood the instructions?

Student
ohiotiger
Message 7 of 9 (7,132 Views)

I am having the same problem.  Ink cartridge 88XL ... the package of genuine HP ink does not have printer L7555 listed on it, but I tried it since it was an 88XL and the guy at the store said that's all that mattered.  I returned that one thinking it was defective.  Bought a 'generic' 88XL that did have L7555 listed on it.  Same problem.

I did all the same things you did - cleaned print heads, test pages, etc.  My pages look exactly as what you describe -- all colors look perfect except black (although I'm getting some black/gray output where you appear to be getting no black/gray at all).  I too am getting the magenta N's on the alignment page before getting the 'alignment failed' message.  If the printheads are shared between colors, my printheads are fine because the only color that's printing bad is black.  So I'm not going to spend $80 on a new printhead.

HP website does not permit chat for this printer model.

I noticed my old cartridge is marked "C9396A", while both new cartridges are marked "C9396AN".  I'm wondering if this isn't planned obsolescence -- change the cartridge just a tiny bit, model 88 doesn't change but add an N to the version number, don't manufacture the old one anymore, and - viola! - a new printer needs to be purchased. 

My next strategy is to find a place that will refill my old, empty cartridge.  If that doesn't work, I'm going to buy a new printer.

Top Student
HPL7555
Message 8 of 9 (7,107 Views)

[ Edited ]

Wow! I didn't think anyone was paying attention to this thread any more.  I am glad you found a potential issue.  Unfortunately, I don't have my old cartridge any longer (I turned it in for credit at the store) so I don't have the option having one refilled (Costco just started doing these).  I would, however, really like to hear about your experience with refilling the old cartridge.  Thanks!

Top Student
Jlarson5
Message 9 of 9 (1,127 Views)

I am having this very same problem (official HP cartridges of 88XL, magenta ink on diagnostic test page, printheads identified as being in good order, etc).  Did anyone discover a solution?  I would really appreciate knowing as the machine is now with a repair facility and I honestly don't think they know what they're doing.  If this isn't a solveable problem, then I will tell them to stop and toss the machine.  If it is, then maybe I can fix it on my own.  I still have the original cartridges that could be refilled if that solves the problem.

Thanks!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation