Question

Tutor
jharris1993
Message 1 of 2 (681 Views)
Accepted Solution

OfficeJet 6500-E7709n - re-enable cartridge "chip" level monitoring

OK, slap my wrist, I was a Bad Boy. . . .  :smileysad:

I tried to refill exhausted print cartridges on my OfficeJet 6500 - and had no end of troubles.  Yea, I know.  Brainy move Einstein!  One of the recommendations was to turn off chip ink level monitoring via the preferences menu (#7) within setup.

As I am sure you can guess, that didn't do diddle-squat, so now I want to go out & get some genuine HP cartridges.  Before I install them, I want to undo the mess I made and put things back the way they were.

Question:  How do I turn that option back ON?  Having turned it off, the option has totally disappeared from the preferences menu altogether.

I tried a "Reset Defaults", but that doesn't work.  Is there a way to turn it back on?  Absent that, is there a way to, (so to speak), nuke the printer back to the Stone Ages so that it's back to it's Out-Of-Box state?

Thanks!

Jim (J.R.)

Tutor
jharris1993
Message 2 of 2 (656 Views)

Re: OfficeJet 6500-E709n - re-enable cartridge "chip" level monitoring

[ Edited ]

Update:

I figured it out!

To accomplish this, you need to do a NVRAM Reset by performing the following sequence of steps:

1. Turn power off to the printer using the power button on the front panel
  2. Using two fingers on one hand, press and hold  both the "#" and the "6" keys at the same time.
  3. Using the other hand, press the power button to turn the printer back on.
  4. Continue to hold the # and 6 keys until the display goes blank, and then lights back up again.  It will then say "Semi NVRAM Reset" - at that point you can release the # and 6 keys.  This might take a minute or two.

Once this is done, the printer will go through its "out-of-box" initial set-up routine for printing.  That is, it will attempt to re-charge the print-head by performing multiple cleaning cycles and will then run an alighnment cycle.

At that point you're done.

Hopefully that helps.

Jim (J.R.)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation