Question

Tutor
lmb100
Message 1 of 7 (1,696 Views)

OfficeJet 6600 has Ink System Failure Error message

I'm running Windows 7.  I have done the following:

1. Turned printer off, then on again

2. Unplugged the power cord from the back of the printer and then the wall, then plugged them back in, wall first, then back of printer.

It will print a page or two, then the error message comes back

Honor Student
paul111
Message 2 of 7 (1,692 Views)

Re: OfficeJet 6600 has Ink System Failure Error message

Hi, sorry to hear about your issue.

The following link might help you out:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03081973&tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc...

Though I may work for HP, my opinion is my own.

Tutor
lmb100
Message 3 of 7 (1,689 Views)

Sorry, but if you read my question, I said I had already tried the things in that document.  They didn't work.  I'm trying to avoid taking it for service, because I can't afford it.

Honor Student
paul111
Message 4 of 7 (1,680 Views)

For further support consider the other options here:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/contacthp?cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=5304873

Though I may work for HP, my opinion is my own.

Honor Student
AK-honeybee
Message 5 of 7 (1,672 Views)

Hi,

I understand that you had ink sytem failure error message when using HP Officejet 6600.

I google through and found the below from HP site. I hope it helps!

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03081973&tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc...

Student
BMWRAY
Message 6 of 7 (1,048 Views)

I have been using HP all in-one-printers for more than ten years, several different models over the years and never any problems, until I got the 6600.  I had my first one one for more than a year when the mysterious "Ink System Failure" message appeared.  I tried new cartridges, followed the embedded troubleshooting directions, even had my local network tech support expert spend an hour on it before giving up.  

Not being able to print for a day, going to the store and buying new ink to troubleshoot, paying for on-site tech support, in total cost me several multiples of the price of a new printer.  So, when we were unable to resolve the problem, I just bought a new 6600, and dealt with the time cost of adding it to our local network.  The experience resulted in several pretty unproductive days and the spend on the new printer and tech support, but it was handled and I was fine with the solution of buying a new printer.  Based on my positive experience with HP products over the years, I just wrote the defect off to bad luck.

Well now here I am with the exact same problem on the second 6600.  I've only been using it for a few months and now that I have read the numerous on-line posts dealing with this exact problem, it seems clear the 6600 has an inherent design flaw.  Many of the threads on the HP support forum for this exact issue have been read 500, 600, 700 times, one had been read nearly 2,000 times.

I'm going to try the serial replacement of the cartridges tonight when I get home, running the head cleaning diagnostic, and physically cleaning the contacts, all as suggested here, and hope it works.  If it does I will re-post here.

If not, I will be buying another printer, and it will obviously not be a 6600.

In my opinion, if this problem is as common as it appears, HP should address it head on; broadcast a recall, and place prominent product notices in the support forum so that people do not lose multiple days dealing with this issue when it occurs.  The loss of productivity cost dwarfs the cost of the printer itself.  

Student
cyndiann
Message 7 of 7 (479 Views)

Did you find a solution? I've tried everything. Looked around for another printer and saw this same one still selling on the shelves. 

I have had some HP printers for many years with no problems and am totally disappointed with this one and don't know what to switch to since I can't get this one to work right. The only thing that worked was totally replacing the cartridges but it would only last a short time and it's getting expensive when I can't even use a single ink cartridge up.

I don't have much money, need one that faxes is works wireless. Anyone have a suggestion?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation