Question

Top Student
jroakes381
Message 1 of 5 (155 Views)
Accepted Solution

OfficeJet Pro 8600 Plus fried by thunderstorm - how can I removed ink cartridges

A thunderstorm last week fried the power supply of my OfficeJet Pro 8600 Plus. The printer is beyond economical repair so I have ordered a new printer.

With no power, the ink cartridge carriage is stuck in the far right position where it is impossible to remove the four relatively new ink cartridges. Ink is not cheap ... would like to be able to salvage the ink cartridges from the disabled printer but cannot figure out how to release the carriage.

Any sugguestions would be appreciated.

HP Support Agent
JERENDS
Message 2 of 5 (129 Views)

Re: OfficeJet Pro 8600 Plus fried by thunderstorm - how can I removed ink cartridges

Hello ,

Welcome back to the HP Support Forums!

Sorry to hear about the Officejet 8600 taking that kind of damage in a storm. Regarding the inks not being accessible, the only thing I can think is to reference the carriage jam support guide.

A 'Carriage Jam' Message Displays on the Printer Control Panel

The only thing I can really offer as a suggestion is try manually moving the carriage over. If it is locked into position and are unable to move the carriage, if you fell comfortable, use a screw driver to "assist" the carriage to move. Since the printer is damaged and you are already planning / have replaced it, it wont hurt it.

Cheers,

JERENDS
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
Top Student
jroakes381
Message 3 of 5 (120 Views)

Re: OfficeJet Pro 8600 Plus fried by thunderstorm - how can I removed ink cartridges

Regret no joy following JERENDS suggestions.

I had checked the form for solutions to jammed printer cartridges prior to posting my problem to the forum.

Cannot find any spot where a screwdriver can "assist" in moving the cartridge carriage.

HP Support Agent
JERENDS
Message 4 of 5 (102 Views)

Have you tried to contact HP's Technical Support to see about further options for you? They may have options to possible assist in the recovery of the cartridges.

If you are calling within North America, the number is 1-800-474-6836 and for all other regions, click here.

JERENDS
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
Top Student
jroakes381
Message 5 of 5 (89 Views)

Ultimately recovered ink cartridges from defunt printer by removving ADF/scanner assembly. This provided access from above to the jammed ink carriage.  Needed Torx T10 driver required to remove the assembly. 

The new printer would not accept the salvaged cartridges during printer set-up ... had to use the "setup" cartridges provided in the box with the new printer.

After setting up new printer, though, I was able to swap-out "set-up" cartridges for the nearly new XL cartridges that I had salvaged from my old printer.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation