Question

Student
pwillipv
Message 1 of 5 (276 Views)

OfficeJet j4550 -- we had our cartridges refilled at costco, and are not able to print.

should we bite the bullet and get new cartridges?

it appears that the black cartridge has ink covering the copper piece

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 5 (273 Views)

Re: OfficeJet j4550 -- we had our cartridges refilled at costco, and are not able to print.

Costco has a pretty liberal return policy, I would suggest you return with the bad cartridge and ask for a refund, use the proceeds toward buying a good cartridge.  Refill/reman cartridges have a poor track record of reliability, see here for a study by Quality Logic on cartridge reliability.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Honor Student
jrsg
Message 3 of 5 (138 Views)

Re: OfficeJet j4550 -- we had our cartridges refilled at costco, and are not able to print.

Regarding the use of cartridges other than manufactured by HP: if you and HP don't mind (and unfortunately they do) I would like the freedom to use whatever cartridges I wish. The level of quality desired, particularly in a home situation where the printed page is of little consequence, is up to me and not to HP. Just as the type of gasoline I put in my car is my choice so should the cartridge I put in my printer. Of course this was the case until someone at HP sharpened their pencil and decided they could install software in the printers that will force owners to purchase HP cartridges regardless of chocie or cost. This is not a quality issue; this is an issue of freedom of choice. Please cease the "noble quality approach" and admit this is about $ and little else. 

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 4 of 5 (133 Views)

Your gasoline powered auto would not work (for long) if you put deisel or alcohol in the tank at your next fillup.  It would hardly be the car manufacturer's fault if things do not work.

In the case of cartridges there are several reasons (that have nothing to do with HP) that could cause a refilled cartridge to not work.  For example:

• If air is introduced into the printhead during refill it may lose its "prime", and not allow ink to reach the nozzles.
  • If incompatible ink is used it can cause a chemical reaction when mixing with the original ink causing the ink to coagulate and clog the printhead.
  • If the printhead is allowed to dry out (by being out of the printer for an extended time without the protective tape) the nozzles can become cloggesd.

HP does not have any control over the quality of third party products.  The reality, supported by several studies, is that the quality is often poor.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Honor Student
jrsg
Message 5 of 5 (123 Views)

Bah Humbug! I didn't know HP had a choir. My Costco cartridges worked just fine until I foolishly downloaded a software update from HP. Then, suddenly, they were not compatible. Frankly your explanations are bogus. For the year or so when I used Costco refills no such problem existed. Can you state unequivocally that HP has not installed any software that autormatically detects and rejects cartridges other than their own? The suggestion that somehow "air" or "ink" or "the printhead drying out" is to blame is laughable. HP, like many corporations out there, wants to maximize the bottom line in any legal or borderline legal way possible. After my initial problem I sent an email to HP. The reply was that they needed to control the quality blah blah ( somewhat along the lines of your reply).  I replied back saying that the Costco refill provided the level of quality that I was satisfied with . Never heard back. Bob, you've made a noble effort but, because of my real life experience with the situation, I do not and cannot accept the suggestions you set forth as being the reasons Costco refills don't work. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation