Officejet 4500 G510n - carriage does not move to right (497 Views)
Top Student
BruceBon
Message 1 of 3 (497 Views)
Accepted Solution

Officejet 4500 G510n - carriage does not move to right

Chronic problem - when I need to replace an ink cartridge, opening the access door fails to stimulate the carriage to move to the cartridge replacement location at the far right.  Usually solved by cycling power and trying again, until it works, or by turning power off and manually forcing carriage to right.  Neither one is a desirable solution.

Is there another solution to this problem?  Perhaps updating firmware or some such?

Thanks.

Distinguished Professor
Shirlzz1
Message 2 of 3 (485 Views)

Re: Officejet 4500 G510n - carriage does not move to right

Sorry to hear that you are having that issue. I would Try a hard reset on the product. It is one of the best steps to take when having a hardware issue. When doing a hard reset no user settings are lost on the product. Make sure that prior to doing a hard reset that the printer is plugged directly into a wall outlet and not on a surge protector. Without it being plugged directly into the wall, the printer might not being getting enough power to operate correctly.

To do a hard reset: 

1. With the printer plugged directly into a wall outlet, and turned on, unplug the cord from the rear of the printer.
  2. Then unplug the cord from the wall socket.
  3. Wait at least 30-60 seconds
  4. Plug the power cord back into the wall socket first. If the cord has a module in it, make sure that the light on the module is lit up and then plug cord back into the rear of the printer
  5. The printer should power back on by itself, but if not use the power button on front panel to turn machine back on. 
I am a former employee of HP...
How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved?
Top Student
BruceBon
Message 3 of 3 (466 Views)

Re: Officejet 4500 G510n - carriage does not move to right for ink cartridge change

The suggestion that the problem might be the use of a surge suppressor seems to be a red herring, at least in my case.  I tried it and no change.  Then I did what I should have done earlier -- I looked for the door switch, which should activate the return of the cartridges to the home position.  I found a rather delicate plastic lever inside the case at the top middle of the door.  When I barely touched it, it instantly flipped up (almost completely hidden) and the carriage moved the ink cartridges to the right, as it should.  After that, change of cartridge proceeded uneventfully.

Suggest you mention the door switch in future responses and/or in an FAQ.  In fact, it would be a good thing to add to the troubleshooting section of the manual.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation