Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Our small office has had an Officejet 4500 for a few months now with no problems. Today it has ceased printing any black ink.

-I have changed the cartridge to be sure, though at no point has it said low ink. This fixed the problem for a few pages but the problem popped back up. I did align the cartridges after installing the new cartridge.

-I have tried cleaning the contacts on the cartridge itself.

-The scanning function still functions and color ink can be printed.

-Overall printing does seem slower, regardless of the black ink issue. Not sure if related.

-The all in one has been used more frequently in the past few weeks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

had the same problem, I have the 4625 hp printer... I tried the  printer self-cleaning ink cartidge button under tools-->cleaning ink cartidge and it worked for me...

don't know if you tried it yet but if not- give it a shot 🙂

hope you'll manage to fix it! 

View solution in original post

37 REPLIES 37
HP Recommended

I am experience the same problems on two printers. On my 4500, the black ink doesn't print. The cartridge is more than half full, the heads have been cleaned, the alignment completed. Also, I am experience the exact same issue on a Officejet 6500 with the magenta cartridge. In both cases, it was working...and then it wasn't.

The results are the same for copying and printing.

This seems too coincidental to be random.

Any insight will be appreciated. Otherwise, I like the printers a lot.

HP Recommended

@LancasterJL wrote:

I am experience the same problems on two printers. On my 4500, the black ink doesn't print. The cartridge is more than half full, the heads have been cleaned, the alignment completed. Also, I am experience the exact same issue on a Officejet 6500 with the magenta cartridge. In both cases, it was working...and then it wasn't. [snip]

For the Officejet 6500 you might try the soak procedure described here.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Has anyone figured out this problem yet?  My officejet 4500 just starting having this problem also.  The color prints out fine, but no blank ink comes out on the paper.  It is frustrating when the printer doesn't work properly. 

HP Recommended

I am having the same problem with the OfficeJet 4500.  I usually print 20 pages before the Black ink will no longer print.  I buy a new cartridge and it lasts for another 20 pages.  (With Fast Draft settings)However, im still on my starter ink with the color.  

When I go into the solution center to check the ink levels, it shows my color is halfway filled, but it has a question mark on the Black side, as if it can't detecst how much ink is left.  

Is this the life expectancy of HP 901 black ink cartridges, or is it a mechanical problem?

HP Recommended

HP Tech!! Can anyone know how to solve this problem!!! Help

HP Recommended

got exactly same problem this is annoying someone please help.

HP Recommended

HP support, this is unacceptable, how about an answer!!

HP Recommended

@f1sh wrote:

HP support, this is unacceptable, how about an answer!!

Please be aware that this forum is a peer to peer support forum, it is not a direct link to HP support.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Soaking a brand new ink cartridge does not seem a practical solution for me. The ink cartridges were fine but not printing in black we change to brand new HP ink cartridge this did not help but after a few restarts it started to work. after a week it stopped again.

Please explain why this is happening to these printers I have 4 hp 4500 all-in-one in jet printers doing this. All are brand new.

HP ink system is too expensive per yield to continue to switch or drain cartridges.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.