Question

Honor Student
denb7
Message 1 of 10 (223 Views)

Officejet 4620 Refuses to print black!

Have an Officejet 4620 printer hooked to a Windows 7 computer that absolutely refuses to print any black ink. I've run a dozen print head cleanings, updated firmware and software and installed all new HP ink and nothing has helped. The printer hasn't printed a single ream of paper yet and already it's as useful as a doorstop.

I've performed every HP support suggestion with ZERO changes. The colors print perfectly, but not one pinpoint of black ink hits the paper.

I've been a computer nerd since 1973 and I know what clogged heads and low ink situations look like and this isn't it.  

Furthermore, I am the "computer 'go to' guy" at my senior center and people ask me for help with their issues all the time. I've seen this exact same scenario on two other people's HP inkjet printers. One lady unplugged the machine and gave it to me then went and bought a new one. One lady's printer miraculously started print perfectly after two days.

My point is that there's something wrong with these printers that causes them to stop printing with black ink. HP support has no solution other than checking the venting, using authentic HP products, running head cleaning, etc.

Judging by the number of posts regarding this NO BLACK INK issue, this is not an isolated issue, but HP doesn't seem willing to acknowledge that there's a problem. Like other posters on this forum, it's starting to feel like I've been scammed.

Why do other inkjet printers have removable print heads, but the OJ 4620 doesn't?

Grad Student
MaryChris
Message 2 of 10 (211 Views)

Re: Officejet 4620 Refuses to print black!

I'm taking a look at the problem.

Best of luck,
Mary

{I work on HP's behalf}
Grad Student
MaryChris
Message 3 of 10 (210 Views)

Hi denb7,

Sorry that you're having these problems. If you have tried all the steps in the document about black out for your printer (including the firmware update), then probably the printer has failed. It happens! :smileyembarrassed:

The document has information about checking your warranty and how to send the printer in to be fixed.

HP makes some printers with a removable printhead. It is just one option that a customer can get, depending on the model they pick.

Best of luck,
Mary

{I work on HP's behalf}
Honor Student
denb7
Message 4 of 10 (172 Views)

This help is of no use to me or my friend. The OJ 4620 printer actually belongs to a woman friend who is mentally challanged. Her only goal was to print knitting patterns. Sadly the printer sat idle for nearly a year after it was installed, which means that it is now beyond the warranty period. It has probably printed a grand total of less than 10 sheets of paper (discounting "test" and "print head cleaning" sheets).

Now she has asked me to help her to get knitting patterns, but we are unable to print them. She spent $60 of her limited income on a full set of ink HP cartridges, with no results to show for her purchase. The AIO printer functions perfectly in every way with the exception of its ability to dispense a single pixel of black ink.

Retired
Leo_Y
Message 5 of 10 (160 Views)

I saw your post and have forwarded it to the right people to have it reviewed. You should hear back from someone shortly via private message on this forum.

Keep an eye on the PM (Private Message) envelope at the top right corner of each page. When you see a number next to the grey envelope, click it. That's the way you'll be contacted.

If you need to know how to post a private message

click here

Thanks.

- I worked for HP.
Honor Student
denb7
Message 6 of 10 (151 Views)

Thank you. I will cross my fingers and wait patiently for a response.

Honor Student
HelperGirl
Message 7 of 10 (56 Views)

After reading another post on this forum that walks through all the steps to locate the hidden screws and finally remove the deck portion inside the 4620, my hubby found a simpler solution:

He used tinsnips to cut out a section of the black plastic bar that covers the print carriage and prevents the print head from being removed.  PHOTO BELOW OF 4620 WITH SECTION REMOVED:

4620 with section removed

If you decide to use this method, DO NOT CUT THE CLEAR PLASTIC RIBBON THAT GUIDES THE PRINT CARRIAGE.

Once the plastic bar section is removed, move the print carriage to the open space and use needlenose pliers to remove the two springs on the sides of the head, and the three white ribbon cables at the back. You can now remove the print head (and if you haven't already done so, remove all four of the print cartridges; we used a disposable styrofoam plate to hold the cartridges and the print head).

Rinse the ink screens inside the print head with hot water, and use a finger or soft brush to gently clean the two heads underneath the print head. (We had to repeat this process three times in order to finally remove all the dried ink.) Using paper towels as blotters wil help you determine if all the ink has been cleaned from the print head. You may need to let the print head soak for a while in order to remove all the dried ink.

Let the print head dry for several hours, or use a hair dryer to dry the head. Use a paper towel to blot the print head and make sure it is completely clean and dry before reinstalling it in the printer.

Once you re-attach the three ribbon cables with the needlenose pliers, pop the print head into the carriage and use the needlenose pliers to re-attach the two springs at each side. Replace all four of your ink cartridges.

Plug in your printer, power it up and run the "clean print head" and "align print head" commands from the tools menu until no stray ink shows up on your test print.

Again, we had to repeat the remove/rinse/dry/replace process at least three times before the heads were clean and all four ink cartridges printed correctly.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 8 of 10 (46 Views)

HelperGirl wrote:

After reading another post on this forum that walks through all the steps to locate the hidden screws and finally remove the deck portion inside the 4620, my hubby found a simpler solution:

He used tinsnips to cut out a section of the black plastic bar that covers the print carriage and prevents the print head from being removed.  [snip]

I suggest you call HP support regardless of warranty as described in the post here.  If you are in the US call 1-800-HPINVENt, elsewhere see the contact information here.  This is likely to be much more satisfying than taking tinsnips to the printer....

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Honor Student
HelperGirl
Message 9 of 10 (43 Views)

Been there, done that, Bob. Getting the answer that my printer was way out of warranty and that I would need to give over a credit card number to get any "HP support" was not satisfying at all.

Since the only other option to get any use from my $100 of extra ink cartridges for my 4620 (that apparently was designed to fail) was to buy another 4620 printer, the tinsnips were a cheap and relatively easy resolution. I highly recommend that option to everyone with a 4620 that is out of warranty.

And I will think twice before ever purchasing another HP product....
HP Support Agent
Sunshyn2005
Message 10 of 10 (32 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi @HelperGirl 

Although I am glad to hear that you managed to get your printer working again, I am a little curious about your phone support experience. I am going to send you a private message,  please check the little envelope on the top right hand corner of the forums page to check your Forums inbox.

Forums Inbox.jpg

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Please click the "Thumbs Up", just below, if you LIKE my post, or to say Thanks for helping!
Also, please consider marking my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Sunshyn2005

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation