Officejet 4620 will not print black after replacing cartridge
Replies (90)

Intern
Porfo
Message 51 of 91 (850 Views)

Re: Officejet 4620 will not print black after replacing cartridge

jcl344,

ty.

i posted my original reply to this thread because when i had my printer go down and had to print some stuff, i went to the forums to seek out a fix. after being unsuccessful and finding pretty much all the same answers that didnt work, i decided to go about it on my own. my original reply to this post isnt something i just theorized or regurgitated. its what i did to fix my printer when it was only printing 2 out of 3 colors and wasnt printing at all in black ink. i used the "clean head" feature till i was blue in the face and low on blue ink. i was up to snuff on black ink levels and double checked my drivers. all good. so i figured i would go inside for a deep cleaning. so theres the back story.

first of all, make sure you have the proper drivers installed on your computer for this specific model. drivers can be found at the hp website free of charge and available for download. assuming that your black ink is at adequate level you would start where i did.

what i did first was i removed the ink cartridges and i soaked the black ink cartridge in a red solo cup full of hot water to get its juices flowing. this is not something you place into the water and then walk away. they begin to bleed into the water fast so if you do this, dont remove your hand from the cartridge. as soon as it began to leak black ink into the water, i removed it from the cup and swung it like a fountain pen once or twice to get the water off and its ink flowing (outside in the grass) then set it inkside up, on a paper plate so i wouldnt make a mess.

i didnt include this in my instructions because i feel it didnt play a major role in the end fix. it may be what it takes for you. but i really doubt it. 

it took me 2 ink carriage cleanings in a row to get the heads where the screen on the one side was totally clean looking and the print head on the bottom was completely free of ink. the first attempt i put everything back together and it was a fail.

so the second attempt i cleaned the head and screen sides of the ink carriage until i made sure the thing looked like it had not been used before. now, zero ink was visible and zero ink coming off when i would wipe it with a q-tip. both screen and head sides. id say i spent 15 to 30 minutes on cleaning the heads alone and probably 15 minutes the second time, just rinsing and wiping and rinsing and wiping until no ink was present. because you remember there is no way to tell if it is clean visually and water doesnt exactly run right through it. so you just let hot water on full blast go through the screen side and be wiping the head side and repeat this until its totally clear with no ink coming off onto the paper towel or q-tip.

this is where i feel your issue lies. i would recommend cleaning the screen side and head sides until they look brand new.

then when i reassembled, it threw error signs on the display, i popped out the ink cartridges several times and reinserted them to no avail. the error messages never went away. so i said screw this im just gonna print. tried a print, the error messages went away on their own and i had a successful, but streaked out black print.

so then i used the clean head feature 2x in a row, and i was printing like it was a brand new machine. so i decided it was my duty as a civilian to post my results.

i have had no related printing issues since. 

hope this helped - good luck.

Porf

Honor Student
ARSSister
Message 52 of 91 (740 Views)

I tried this, but it didn't work for me.

Student
direstraits61
Message 53 of 91 (709 Views)

I'm having the same problem as everyone else.  I tried the solutions offered but they didn't work.  My printer is out of warranty, and I'm stuck with several unused ink cartridges unless I buy another HP.  Somehow this doesn't seem right!

Honor Student
jrcostello
Message 54 of 91 (703 Views)

In my case it was not a cartridge or printer problem, it was a software problem.

My support team, (Vincent Williams) resolved the problem quickly on June 2 and it has not recurred.

- John Costello

HP Support Agent
HevnLgh
Message 55 of 91 (663 Views)

Hello direstraits61,

Thank you for your continued efforts, can you please let me know which Country/Region you are located in?

I will watch for your reply.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!
Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

HevnlghHelP
I work on behalf of HP
Student
WhoFnCares
Message 56 of 91 (598 Views)

RESOLUTION - Apparently the head under the cartridge gets gobbed up with ink.  I removed the cartridge and, using a Q-Tip with some bleach, cleaned the intake head.  This worked for me so, good luck. 

Top Student
angelgirl8906
Message 57 of 91 (595 Views)

I'm so frustrated and ANGRY!  I've just spent hours trying to get the stupid black ink to print.  I just went out and spent money and replacing all new cartriges and it still wont' work.  Because I opened them, I now can't return them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  So now I have brand new cartidges for a crappy printer.  I'm so annoyed.  So many people having the same problem.  My printer is out of warranty so now I guess I'm just out of luck and money! 

HP Support Agent
Sunshyn2005
Message 58 of 91 (578 Views)

Hi @angelgirl8906 

I see you are having troubles with your black ink.

If you have already completed the steps in the following document; Printer Does Not Print Black Ink or Color Ink, or Prints Blank Pages, I would suggest calling HP Phone Support regardless of whether it is in or out of warranty as you may require a replacement printer.

The number to call HP is 1-800-474-6836 for Canada and US, or you can Contact HP Worldwide. 

Please let me know the outcome of your call to HP.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Please click the "Thumbs Up", just below, if you LIKE my post, or to say Thanks for helping!
Also, please consider marking my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Sunshyn2005

I work on behalf of HP
Honor Student
afdude10
Message 59 of 91 (572 Views)

EASY FIX

After being frustrated all night and blowing ink all over my hand I came up with an easy fix.

1. Remove the sticker from the ink cartridge vent hole

2. Put the ink cartrige back in the printer

3. Use a nose sucker(or straw potentially) to blow air into the vent hole while the cartirge is in the printer.

http://www.nosesucker.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/nose-sucker.bmp

4. Print Black again

Top Student
angelgirl8906
Message 60 of 91 (557 Views)

I've tried everything, Sunshyn2005.  I've spent HOURS and HOURs tying the various fixes, cleaning print heads, wasting more ink etc... This printer is not very old.  I should NOT be having this much trouble. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation