Question
Officejet 4620 will not print black after replacing cartridge
Replies (80)

HP Support Agent
Sunshyn2005
Message 61 of 81 (635 Views)

Re: Officejet 4620 will not print black after replacing cartridge

Hi @angelgirl8906

Call HP Phone Support regardless of whether it is in or out of warranty as you may require a replacement printer.

The number to call HP is 1-800-474-6836 for Canada and US, or you can Contact HP Worldwide. 

Please let me know the outcome of your call with them. Thanks.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Please click the "Thumbs Up", just below, if you LIKE my post, or to say Thanks for helping!
Also, please consider marking my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Sunshyn2005

I work on behalf of HP
Top Student
angelgirl8906
Message 62 of 81 (632 Views)

afdude10,

You're brilliant!!!!   This worked!  I can now print BLACK INK again!!!  Thank you so much!!!!!

Honor Student
hpusermesa
Message 63 of 81 (586 Views)

Having same problem as other posters.  Tried most of the suggestions short of traumatic surgery on the innards or a ballpein hammer to entire unit.  Clearly with the recent increase in reported problems of this type it is quite evident that HP has a defective product; one that seems destined to fail shortly after warranty expires.  Rather than be ethical and acknowledge this and offer replacements HP dismisses the valid complaints.   Low-end printers like this are poorly designed and fabricated; that's why so cheap.  Profit margins are really with the inks.  So when the printer malfunctions...as the 4620 has.... user is stuck with an unrepairable and non-replaceable unit.  Oh, and all those extra cartridges you have can't be used in other models. 

Had a similar situation with Dell 515/ 315 printers; units crashed shortly after warranty expired.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 64 of 81 (582 Views)

[ Edited ]

shpusermesa wrote:

[snip] Rather than be ethical and acknowledge this and offer replacements HP dismisses the valid complaints.   [snip]

Did you actually call HP and give them a chance to fix things or are you just assuming the outcome?  I would suggest you follow the post from @Sunshyn2005 above:

"Call HP Phone Support regardless of whether it is in or out of warranty as you may require a replacement printer.

The number to call HP is 1-800-474-6836 for Canada and US, or you can Contact HP Worldwide. "

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Student
jmweldon
Message 65 of 81 (507 Views)

I had the same problem - 2 black cartridges later - scrapping off the orange nibs that were left behind - still no printing black ink.  What a piece of crapmanship.

HP Support Agent
Sunshyn2005
Message 66 of 81 (500 Views)

Hi @jmweldon

Call HP. Even if your printer is out of warranty! 

If you are in Canada or US call 800 474 6836, or you can Contact HP Worldwide.

Please let me know the outcome of your call via a Private message. How To Send A Private Message.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Please click the "Thumbs Up", just below, if you LIKE my post, or to say Thanks for helping!
Also, please consider marking my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Sunshyn2005

I work on behalf of HP
Honor Student
whoking
Message 67 of 81 (424 Views)

I am looking for the "magic" solution that has been emailed to folks off-line to fix the HP4620 not printing black, if this is still available.

HP Support Agent
Sunshyn2005
Message 68 of 81 (422 Views)

Hi @whoking 

Although there is no magic solution, I do suggest calling HP even if your printer is out of warranty. Please let me know the outcome of your call, thanks.

Sunshyn2005

I work on behalf of HP
Honor Student
deejay3
Message 69 of 81 (356 Views)

@sunshyn2005 I also started to have this problem last night. I bought all new ink cartridges last week and was able to print the documents I needed to. Then lastnight I tried to print and no black ink prints. I read through all the pages of this post and attempted all the fixes with no luck, I just got off of the phone with customer support in which I again ran through all of the possible fixes and they were not able to fix the issue.

They then transferred me to a supervisor, I figured they would try to get me to purchase a new printer at a discount but they actually offered to replace my printer at no cost. It is obviously a refurbished printer, but I will take that over having to purchase a new one right now.

Honor Student
hpusermesa
Message 70 of 81 (345 Views)

It took several attempts ( long waits on hold) to talk with a CSR.  Explained problem and what I had done numerous times.  She had to follow the script and have me run the same tests/ resets/ checks, etc.  as already done.  She repreated  questions even though I was telling her the same thing over and over.  Finally she concluded that the requested functions were not correcting the problem. Transferred me to a supervisor for another 20 minutes of redundant  Q and A; even reading off the numbers on all the ink cartridges ( setup and replacement).  OK; again I realize that Tech  and Customer Service must ascertain and verify that a problem exists and is not correctable by ordinary user.   But by now there seems to be enough similar complaints to give credence to the fact that it is an inherent problem with the product.  Nonetheless, a refurbished printer was sent and delivered the next day even though was told may be 5 days!  Good!  And, both the CSR and the Supervisor were professional and polite. Total call time nearly an hour.

the replacement printer seems to work ok except for two problems: 1.  paper jams; 2. reads "out of paper" when at least 20 sheets still in tray.  My original printer was apparently out of warranty but the replacement was no charge.   So, now the question: will the same problem recur later ?   Or has HP discovered what the cause is and fixed it with the replacements?

If the latter then why  not inform owners of these printers  of that?   No one is going to sue over an inexpensive printer  but it would be a step up from the GM ignition switch coverup to admit that there is a defect and what owners can do. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation