Officejet 4620 won't print black (7801 Views)
Student
adamsorkin
Message 1 of 27 (7,801 Views)

Officejet 4620 won't print black

My printer will not print anything in black. I have replaced the black cartridge, and tried everything at the troubleshooting print quality and troubleshooting blank printout pages to no avail.

I've attempted using Mac OS X 10.8 and Windows 7 64-bit, with the same results. 

Distinguished Professor
Shirlzz1
Message 2 of 27 (7,780 Views)

Re: Officejet 4620 won't print black

Are you using Genuine HP Ink that is non refilled?   This printer should be less than a year old. I would contact HP Total care as it is possibly under warranty and describe the issue to them. Their number for US and Canada customers is 800-474-6836. Other countries can find  contact information here.

I am a former employee of HP...
How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved?
Student
klowers
Message 3 of 27 (7,421 Views)

Hi,

My printer is doing the exact same thing!! Did you ever find a solution?

Thanks.

Distinguished Professor
Shirlzz1
Message 4 of 27 (7,412 Views)

@klowers- Here is a link to a document that addresses poor print quality for your model of printer. It will supply you with troubleshooting steps to try  in an effort to correct the issue that you having with the black ink failing to print. this is where one would need to start to address that issue.  I hope that this helps. 

I am a former employee of HP...
How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved?
Student
tweaqer
Message 5 of 27 (6,544 Views)

I think it has to do with the thickness of the ink in the cartridge.  I had the same problem; near-empty black cartridge petered out while printing, then, each of two brand new black cartridges would not print under any circumstances.  I finally just left the 2nd new cartridge installed in the printer and went without printing for three days.  The next time I tried printing, it printed perfectly.

I attribute this to the fact that the ink is positioned to flow downward when the cartridge is installed, but when laying on my shelf, it was not. 

Therefore, I think that the ink tends to get slightly "congealed" when it never "flows", and that the answer is to perhaps (1) shake it very vigorously before installing, or (2) heat the cartridge with, say, a hair dryer (I don't recommend microwaving), or (3) as did work for me, install it and leave it installed for hours or a couple of days.

Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 6 of 27 (6,161 Views)

tweaqer wrote:

I think it has to do with the thickness of the ink in the cartridge.  I had the same problem; near-empty black cartridge petered out while printing, then, each of two brand new black cartridges would not print under any circumstances.  I finally just left the 2nd new cartridge installed in the printer and went without printing for three days.  The next time I tried printing, it printed perfectly.

I attribute this to the fact that the ink is positioned to flow downward when the cartridge is installed, but when laying on my shelf, it was not. 

Therefore, I think that the ink tends to get slightly "congealed" when it never "flows", and that the answer is to perhaps (1) shake it very vigorously before installing, or (2) heat the cartridge with, say, a hair dryer (I don't recommend microwaving), or (3) as did work for me, install it and leave it installed for hours or a couple of days.

I strongly recommend not shaking the cartridges, as it could leak/spray out and damage your clothing. There could have been air in the ink system that recovered itself after leaving the printer sit for a few days. The ink in the cartridges won't congeal, but obviously you will get bad print quality when the cartridge is close to empty.

Hope this helps, Ciara

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Twitter: @Ciara_B_HP
Honor Student
lfrisch0915
Message 7 of 27 (3,681 Views)

I am also at most frustration having this issue.  I bought refill and I get no black.  

So, then I bought all new inks, still no black.

This is a genuine HP cartridge.  

I have run the clean printhead job to no avail

Of course, I am 2 months out of freaking warranty.  They really getcha don't they.  I of course rely on this printer for job and I am out of luck!

I

Honor Student
QualityEngr
Message 8 of 27 (3,662 Views)

I am seeing the same issue just 2 months after warranty expired.  Printed a few pages, then next print it would not print any black - blank page.  Tried all the suggestions on several forms including new HP ink cartridge with no change.  Printer is reading cartridge as full of ink, but page is blank.

Very frustrating.  All the other colors print fine.  Not what I expect from a quality company like HP.  Makes me really wonder about buying another HP.

Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 9 of 27 (3,605 Views)

Hi folks

Have you followed the steps in the link below?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&docname=c03944809

It's definitely worth checking you have the latest firmware update...

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Ink-Toner-Cartridge-Printhead-Issues/Getting-the-latest-FIRMWARE-amp-PR...

Update.jpg

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Twitter: @Ciara_B_HP
Honor Student
lfrisch0915
Message 10 of 27 (3,599 Views)

I did update the firmware and it still did not work.  Unfortunately.  I have had to go out a buy a new printer because I rely on it on a daily basis.  I did NOT purchase an HP as I was pretty unhappy with the results.  If you can still fix this issue fine, I will have two printer, but really disappointed in this product.  

Of course, I had just bought $50.00 worth of ink to try and see if that fixed my issue.  Of course it did not.  

Don't feel I should have to pay for technical support on something that is obviously an issue for a lot of people and is a defect in your product.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation