Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My printer is only 5-6 months old, and refuses to print because it says the Yellow cartridge is depleted. I know it has not dried up and that it is still printing fine because I signed up for an app that prints out recipes every weekday (in color) and the page printed just this morning looked perfectly fine - the yellow showed up totally normal. The estimated ink level for the yellow cartridge does say that it is depleted, but how can that be when I have proof (from this morning's printout) that I still have yellow ink? 

And, according to the manual, the printer will still print if one of the color cartridges is depleted, as long as the black is not depleted. The black is only half-used, so why is the manual giving false information and my printer still refuses to print anything?

Very frustrated....

61 REPLIES 61
HP Recommended
I am sorry that you are having that issue with the printer. Yellow is necessarily for true black tones as a thin layer of yellow ink is placed below the black ink to keep the appearance from looking murky. Is it sometimes refusing to print and then it will go ahead print a scheduled delivery app? Since your printer is less than a year old, i would call into HP Total care and have them troubleshoot the issue since the printer will still be under the factory warranty. The number for US and Canada customers is 800-474-6836
I am a former employee of HP...
How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved?
HP Recommended

No, the printer is refusing ALL print jobs. Every time I want to print something, it says the cartridge must be replaced in order to resume printing.

Considering the manual specifically says (on page 74) that printing is still possible with a depleted color cartridge, I feel like I have been duped and this is a bait-and-switch scam.

HP Recommended
I have sent your issue up to the appropriate persons for review. They will be in contact with you via Private messages in the forums.
HP Recommended

Same issue here. I am tired of purchasing color ink cartridges when only wanting to print in B&W. Even if the color was depleted, which it is not, I should be able to print in B&W only. Now, I'm forced to wait on printing anything until I replace the color. Any solutions here??

HP Recommended

For printers that take individual ink cartridges,  the color inks cannot be empty before you set the print settings to black ink only. That is an option that is to same on ink consumption when printing. The printhead will still use ink to run maintenance tasks.  For more information on the various ways that a print uses ink,  review this document here. I hope that this helps. 

HP Recommended

Need a stright answer

Will it or does the user manual LIE?

HP Recommended

I am getting the same error - just want to turn off the yellow ink and print a black and white document.  when I need to print color, i'll get the cartridge.  Bought mine just before christmas less than 4 months ago.  Either we find a way to get past this or the printer has to go back to Costco.  Not spending $120 per year for yellow ink cartridges

HP Recommended

I have the same problem now , and its very annoying ! 

I can't find other solution then to buy the yello ink.

I wood recommedt anyone not to buy this printer 

HP Recommended

My issue is with magenta, not yellow. I replace it every month and rarely, if ever, print in color.  Yet the magenta cartridge is magically empty when I need to print my one document a month.  I will never purchase another HP product again.  NEVER.   It constantly cleans the print head as well, which guzzles ink.  What a scam.  Good for you HP... good for you.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.