Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Have you tried un-installing the "depleted" cartridge and reinserting the same cartridge? This has worked with both my black and tri-color cartridges, and it costs nothing to try.  NOTE: My printer is not the same model as yours, but is HP.

The tri-color cartridge was "depleted" according to the estimated ink level, and the printer stopped printing.

I removed the color cartridge, and set it on the desk, upside-down. Left it there for a few minutes. Then I turned the printer off and back on, re-inserted the same color cartridge, and tried printing a document containing all 3 colors, and Voila! the document printed with all the colors.  My color cartridge isn't really empty at all.

When I did this with the black cartridge, I got another 8 pages of a cross stitch chart out of the "empty" cartridge.

HP Recommended

I am having the same problem too. My printer is only 3 or 4 mos old, and says both blue & black are depleted. I was under the impression that the ink in these printers would last a whole lot longer...one of the reasons I decided to purchase it.  Before the ink went out, I still wasn't able to use it over a Wifi connection. Spent 4 hours on the phone + chat trying to troubleshoot. No resolution. Very upset with HP's so-called compatibility with Mac. 

HP Recommended

I am very disappointed myself here. Well I must say I got this printer for my birthday this year and I barely printed if anything at all and this is the second time this anoying message "depleted cartridges" or whatever.

At 1st it's complained about C only I went to Walmart and bought one and replaced it and after three minutes of thinking the message went back and said about Magenta and Yellow as being depleted.

I am very disappointed in this printer. I spent so far almost 100$ to replace this cartridges and I must say from all my heart that I will never ever buy this type of printer. It does work great but it is way to expensive to have it. I was so certain that I wil be able to print just in W and B but as the previous folks mentioned no chance and so it loks to me like this will be last time when I use this printer. Again a bad experience here!

HP Recommended

Rumors:

1990's:  "Did you know, HP practically gives their printers away because they make all their money in ink?" Brilliant.

2010's:  "Did you know, HP has a way making you regularly buy replacement ink colors that you never use?" Genius.

The manual says we can print with depleted cartridges.  We cannot.   So... we cannot simply print in black and white unless all the cartridges are sufficiently full.  The machine continually depletes color cartridges for routine maintenance even though we only print black ink.  THIS IS A BIT DECEPTIVE.  The operator's manual must be used on the sales floor.  In fairness, maybe this section of the manual was inadvertently copied from a manual meant for a better model.  Simply fixing the manual would have saved me an hour of researching and trying work-arounds.

In my ignorance, I welcomed the multiple ink cartridges, because I thought they would save me money.  I'm purchasing more ink now than I ever have, in colors that I'm not knowingly using.  Shame on me for for being so ignorant.  I will never recommend the HP 6700, not even as a get-even, knowing the benefit it would provide to HP.  Where's my dot-matrix??

HP Recommended

I just found out about the printer using colored ink when printing in black and white from reading this forum.  So I contacted support and spoke to a lovely girl named Camille who couldn't offer me much rather than make it seem like my fault that I didn't know the printer used colored ink when printing in BLACK and white.  

So I followed her directions to only print in black and white rather than using the default settings.  Even after I did that, my colored ink is still being depleted.  Either my printer is broken, or this is a sorry way for the company to make money off of unsuspecting customers, many of which seem to be a part of this conversation.  

Since the printer won't work without all the ink cartridges containing some amount of ink, and the printer won't print in black and white without using colored ink, and because this seems very deceptive to the consumers who are leaking money on account of this feature, I think some kind of voucher system or reimbursement should be enacted for all the wasted ink and money spent by everyone in this forum for the inconvenience this causes.

Hopefully this doesn't sound like whining, but if I knew I was spending so much money on colored ink cartridges when all I print are papers in black and white, I never would have purchased this printer.

HP Recommended

I have the same problem with my printer.  I want to eliminate the color option and just use black ink.   Does anyone have an answer?

HP Recommended

Hi Retden. The Officejet 6700 Premium requires all ink cartridges to be installed..

A full explanation can be found here: <Click Here>

TwoPointOh
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

[Text Deleted]!

I can't believe HP is resorting to these type of tactics.

{ Information Removed}

HP Recommended
Terry,

We're not asking to remove a cartridge. We're asking why we can't print when one of the cartridges is depleted.

Can you please explain why the User Guide (page 74) gives false information? No one on behalf of HP has specifically answered that question.
HP Recommended

I just tried the print in "black only" mode as the instructions suggest - no worky.

I used to think HP had integrity and quality above all... I'm sure Bill & Dave are rolling over in their graves!

I thought I liked my HP 6700, but now I'm pissed! Seems like a lot of people are pissed-off too! 

Sure, I'll go out and buy the errant color cartridge at the HP rip-off price...

Remember, if someone likes you, your product or company, they'll tell 3 people, if they don't they'll tell 13 -20!

I can do better than that: I have a mailing list of 140,000 -- What should I them?

Canon makes a good printer, so do a bunch of other companies.

Simple fix here HP! Better get on it -- perhaps a software update?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.