Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I am having the same issue (want to only print B&W, but can't because color cartridge ran out).  A while back I called HP and was given a work-around.  However, something changed and now that doesn't work.  Now we are out of color and can't print.  Has anyone been given another work-around and, if so, can you share it?  Also, does anyone know what Costco's policy is on returning printers?  

HP Recommended
From France

I do confirm that I have the same problem. My three color cartridges are new but empty and I cannot print anything in B and W.
I do precise that I've choosen this printer thinking that I could print in B and W without having to purchase new color cartridges. I don't have even print 100 pages till i bought it !
Scandalous.
HP Recommended

Hello fibette,

I have found some information for you about the Officejet 6700 printer. This will explain why the printer will not print with depleted cartridges. You are able to print in black, however you will need to have ink in the color cartridges to do so.

I hope this helps with the explanation.

Printing with Depleted Cartridges, or With Some Cartridges Removed

Take care,

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I am NOT a happy camper, need to print boarding passes for my flight tomorrow and my yellow ink is suddenly

depleted even though I used the printer fine yesterday.

I live 1&1/2 hours from the nearest office supply store.

Thanks alot HP, I have 3 black ink cartridges but cannot print. This is absurd!

I will NEVER buy multiple ink colors separate again.

HP Recommended

Having the same problem here. It's an absolute joke, HP. This needs a software update, so users can print with only black ink cartridges installed. Instead of mandating to lay down a layer of yellow under the black, a simple warning message would be enough, alerting the user that the print quality will suffer if they switch to black ink cartridge only.

This is the last HP product I will buy, for me and for my company.  

HP Recommended

Totally a bait and switch scam

HP Recommended

In front of the same problem after having boughts new HP color cartridges. The printer does not recognize any of the cartridges (missing or empty it says). I've been obliged to resent the material. Waiting for the solution (only around 30 pages printed till i bought it in March 2013)

I will never buy an HP again for sure.

HP Recommended

Bought my HP6700 in June 2013.  Although very rarely use color ink, have already had to replace the color cartridges multiple times.  Same experience as other posters here.  Again, receiving message stating yellow and magenta are depleted, although I have not printed any color pages since last changed, at all.  Will not allow me to print b/w without replacing the color cartridges, although Users' Manual states otherwise.   I am heading back to Office Depot with this printer, and will not return home with another HP product.  I have had enough of the corporate culture that condones intentionally manufacturer engineered scheduled obsolecscence and malfunction as good business.  I will not participate in or enable this unethical and disingenuous business practice.  Voting with my dollars and spreading the word... HP joins my boycott list along with Iphone and Samsung. 

HP Recommended

Question for Rainbow7000

So, you'r saying that because of the design of the printer, you cannot print in "Black Only" if the color cartridges are depleted.  "BOTTOM LINE"

HP Recommended

I just installed my 4th set of color cartridges and am still on my first black cartridge. I have NEVER printed anything but B/W. HP support showed me how to set my printer preferences to "Black Only" so I would stop using up my color and yet I still ran out of all three colors together and could not print B/W in "Black Only". I am so frustrated with this printer that I am ready to purchase another brand. I have always had HP printers, but I don't think I will own another. I thought that the reason you had seperate color cartridge's was so you could just replace the one that ran out. In reality all three colors run out at the same time. HP support convinced me while this thing was still under warranty that I would not be using color anymore. But now I am still out of colored ink, and out of warranty. And it still won't print black without colored cartridges. I started weighing the full, and then the supposed empty cartridges, and they only weigh 6 gms less from full to empty, on a 26 gm cartridge. I liked my old 4110   all in one. When it warned me I was getting low on ink, I could continue to print until there were streaks in the page, then I would replace them. I don't know if these cartridges are empty or not. I tried to reinstall one of the old cartridges to see if there was still some ink in there, but now this printer remembers all of my old ones and will not even let me try to reuse one. Probably to make sure I don't try to refill one of them. So that I have to buy new ones from HP. I think it will be cheaper for me to just buy another printer than to keep buying colored  ink for this one.

If I turn it on to send a Fax, and make a mistake in the phone # I enter, then as I am correcting the # it will insist on spending several minuttes wasting ink and checking itself out before it will allow me to finish sending my Fax, not good if you are in a hurry to get that Fax out. It always does this check out no matter if I used it the day before or the month before. I'll bet I have not printed 100 B/W pages and am on my 4th set of color cartridges. Usually I will also print pictures and if I had then I would not know there was such a problem. To have used up 4 sets of colored cartridges and I still have 1/4 of my black cartridge while printing in B/W is rediculous. I never used this much colored ink while printing HD pictures!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.