Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I've had the printer less than 2 years and have purchased the color cartridges three times and I've never printed in color!  I set the default to black only after the first set of color cartridges went out, it didn't help at all.  This last time the message came up saying I could only print in black because my yellow was out and it let me print in black a couple of times then went back to saying I need yellow and now cyan.  Here we go again.  I could have purchased another printer by now.  A friend has a cheaper HP printer and prints in black and said she's never had to replace the color.  Why is it just this printer when I paid more to get everything I needed?

HP Recommended
I had various HP printers for 20 years and was quite happy. Since getting this printer I decided never to purchase HP products ever again. I spent well over $600 on color ink cartridges just to print in black and white. Adios HP I'll make sure no one i know buys HP printer, PC, or tablet either.

If anyone wants to save money I highly recommend Brother's HL-2270DW printer. The ink stays good for 2+years and I can get 2600 pages for a fraction of HP ink price. Between dried ink and expiration I was paying $10 per page with HP. With Brother I only pay 0.01$. Amazon review says it all. 1.5 rating for OJ 6700 vs 4.5 for Brother.
HP Recommended

I am having the same problem. Do you have a Mac? I do, and have had problems with three other HP printers. HP keeps sending me replacements because my last printer was in warranty, but they didn't work either. Now this new model is worse than the other. I stupidly bought a lot of ink for the last one because it was on sale. The HP people told me I could exchange the ink with ink for this model. I sent two emails to the address they gave and got no answer. So now I have a lot of ink for a printer that is out of date and a printer that won't print in black and white because it says that the yellow cartridge is depleted. I am going to Costco to buy a new printer. I am sick of HP.

HP Recommended

Bought mine a little over 5 months ago and have printed EXACTLY 47 pages of mainly B&W text.  No photos, not graphics intense images, just simple text.  The yellow cartridge is now fully depleted and the other colour cartridges are about 85% depleted. The printer is effectively dead.

So.  More than 85% of the colour ink has been consumed to print just 47 pages?!?  Really?!?  How bloody stupid is that?

Like others on this thread, after many years of using HP printers, I am now done with HP.  I’m moving house in a couple of weeks and whilst I got a very good deal when I bought it, this will go in the bin as it’s simply not worth keeping.

HP Recommended

I agree ! I feel  the manual and Hp has lied about being able to use this printer to print black ink documents when out of color I have we have been a hp family for years but after buying our 5 th hp laptop and it being a lemon and now this ,if Hp will not take care of this problem and its people no one in this family or our church will be buying any more Hp products we have spent over 100 dollars in ink for this printer in the last 6 months and we do not even print color just black and now it wants another yellow Boo! hp bad move Hpyou could fix your missleading by sending us all out a few ink packs but I dont really see this happing .

HP Recommended

I am having the EXACT same issue! I am so frustrated! We are definitely at the point of just purchasing another printer....and it definitely WON'T be another HP!!!!!

HP Recommended

I'm having the same issue...

There is absolutely no reason this should not print, due to ANY color cartridge, other than black! All I have ever printed is with the settings on BLACK!

HP Recommended

I've had the printer 2 1/2 years and can't tell you how many expensive ink cartridges I have purchased, could have bought a couple of printers by now.  I've read all the replies for two years and everyone keeps having the same problems.  All the techy types giving all these options to change on the printer yet nothing will stop from using all the ink up over and over again.  B&W does not just use black, etc etc.  Read all the threads, all the advice yet nothing will work.  If you keep the printer you will continue to deplete all the ink and replace over and over again.  Now one reply did seem honest and accurate.  He said this printer should not have been purchased if you just want to print in black and he did say other HP printers were better for printing just black.  I don't think I'm willing to give HP another chance.  I will buy the Brother printer another person on here suggested:  If anyone wants to save money I highly recommend Brother's HL-2270DW printer. The ink stays good for 2+years and I can get 2600 pages for a fraction of HP ink price. Between dried ink and expiration I was paying $10 per page with HP. With Brother I only pay 0.01$. Amazon review says it all. 1.5 rating for OJ 6700 vs 4.5 for Brother. 

With that said, does anyone want to purchase a rarely used HP officejet 6700 Premium?  It will come with the ink that is not depleted but beware, you'll need to replace soon!

HP Recommended

This is the WORST PRINTER. 

It said I was out of magenta, so I went and bought magenta. Then when I installed it, it says I was out of blue and yellow!! Huh? It didn't say that before. SO not only do the color cartridges deplete but when one gets depleted YOU HAVE TO REPLACE THE WHOLE F5673848Y9Y!@@#! THING!!

I say we embark on a nasty social media campaign about what a crappy printer this is!

HP Recommended

I too am having the same problem, I seldom if ever print in colour but the level of ink in my colour cartidges progressively declines - last time this happened I had to buy a (very expensive) whole new set because the unit just won't work - now it looks like I'm headed for the same think.  This is crazy.  One poster recommended a work around - but didn't say what it was.   For now I've powered the machine off, but I suspect the next time I turn it on it will go thru its 5 minute startup dance and likely further deplete the cartidges.    

Is there any known fix??

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.