Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

RL555, the "workaround" wasn't an actual workaround, poor choice of words, sorry about that. It was actually just a gesture HP made to make an upset customer temporarily happy (they sent me a free set of toner cartridges and a $25 gift card). Still no real solution to the problem.

HP Recommended

Same here. OUTRAGEOUS printer. Will not be buying HP again. No other manufacturer does this. Appalling.

HP Recommended

what is depletel cartgage?

HP Recommended

You probably know by now about the computer chip in each ink cartridge which has expiration date in it. Wherever you bought it, as with us, Costco, will refill and change chip for like $7.00.

HP Recommended

It's a lie. See my reply to first question.

HP Recommended

@nic1980 wrote:

what is depletel cartgage?

The "depleted cartridge" message indicates that one (or more) colors are out of ink.  

HP and other printer manufacturers have different printer technologies for different needs.  For inkjet printers:

• Some have printheads built into the ink cartridges.  These printers can typically print with one or more of the colors completely empty, or even with color or black (but not both) cartridges removed. The Officeejt 8040a is an example.
    • Other printers have separate ink supplies and replaceable printheads.  An example would be the Officejet 7110 printer.  The printhead in these printers can be replaced if they are damaged by running the printhead with colors out.  Some of these printers will allow printing with a color out, other will not.  If the printer is run without ink in one or more colors the printer may be damaged, but the user may be able to recover without having to send the printer for service.
    • Other printers have permanent printheads.  To run these without some ink in all the colors would risk causing damage to the printhead due to clogs, air ingested in the printhead or burned out printhead firing resistors. The Officejet 6700 is an example of this type of printer. For printers with fixed printheads this could require service to get the printer to print properly again when the ink is finally replaced.  

The document here describes how ink is used.  While the document is written for HP Inkjet printers the same principles apply to inkjet printers from other manufacturers.

If you never print in color a laser printer would likely be a better choice.  If you occasionally print color but mostly black an IPH printer like those in the first category above may be a good choice.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

This link does not exist!  You are supposed to be an authorized HP Representative and help us frustrated consumers and HP is NOT doing this.  Read the chain of messages here; there are lots of people having the same complaint and HP is doing nothing about it.  Terrible!

HP Recommended

I have the same **bleep** problem with the magenta cartridge. I am forced to buy a new one or the printer won't print anything. It's really frustrating and disappointing that no update has been launched for such a long time since the first reports.

It should have been possible, at least, to print in black and white without having to remove the other cartridges. I mean, if that option is anyway available while all cartridges are in, why the heck does an empty cartridge have to prevent the printer from printing at all?  I don't believe that you need other colours for black, because you can anyway choose not to use colour cartridges. And then black alone will print really well without any layers. It's just bad programming, nothing more, so that you need to spend money to cartridges. I'd call it customer-fiendly..

HP Recommended

@fariso wrote:

This link does not exist!  You are supposed to be an authorized HP Representative and help us frustrated consumers and HP is NOT doing this.  Read the chain of messages here; there are lots of people having the same complaint and HP is doing nothing about it.  Terrible!

1. What link does not work?  I just checked the link in my post above, it works fine....
  2. I am not an HP representative.
  3. As I mentioned in my post above, HP does make different printers for different uses.  If the Officejet 6700 with its permanent printheads and separate ink supplies does not meet your needs there are different printer models that may be more appropriate for your needs.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

The manufacturers may call it "printer technology" but when the customers know that other printers can print with empty cartridges or empty slots, they may also realise that they might have made a mistake in picking this particular model. My question to HP is, whether it is possible to reprogramme the printer driver and send out an update, so that the printer can bypass the empty cartridge check.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.