Question
Officejet 6700 won't print black only with depleted cartridges
Replies (105)

Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 51 of 106 (906 Views)

Re: Officejet 6700 won't print black only with depleted cartridges

@Truthmatters 

Which variant of the 6700 do you have? I checked the online version of the user guide and it states the following....

Printing with black or color ink only
For regular usage, this product is not designed to print using only the black cartridge
when the color cartridges are out of ink.
However, your printer is designed to let you print as long as possible when your
cartridges start to run out of ink.
When there is sufficient ink in the printhead, the printer will offer you the use of black
ink only when one or more of the color cartridges are out of ink, and the use of color ink
only when the black cartridge is out of ink.
• The amount that you can print using black or color ink only is limited, so have
replacement ink cartridges available when you are printing with black or color ink
only.
• When there is no longer sufficient ink to print, you will get a message that one or
more cartridges are depleted, and you will need to replace the depleted
cartridges before you resume printing.
CAUTION: While ink cartridges are not damaged when left outside of the printer,
the printhead does need to have all cartridges installed at all times after the printer
is set up and in use. Leaving one or more cartridge slots empty for an extended
period may lead to print quality problems and possibly damage the printhead. If you
have recently left a cartridge out of the printer for an extended period, or if you have
had a recent paper jam, and have noticed poor print quality, clean the printhead.
For more information, see Clean the printhead.

Link to User Guide

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03227497.pdf

Have you tried calling HP Support regardng your complaint?

Thanks, Ciara

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Twitter: @Ciara_B_HP
Tutor
Truthmatters
Message 52 of 106 (848 Views)

Ciara, here is the link to the user guide that states the printer can print black when other cartridges are depleted. This is the resource I quoted from in my previous post:

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/438662/Hewlett-Packard-Officejet-6700.html?page=78#manual

Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 53 of 106 (824 Views)

Ok thanks @Truthmatters 

This isn't a HP site and it looks like it has an old version of the manual. The official versions are always saved on HP.com. I'll try following up with manualslib.com and ask that they refer to the official version...

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03227497.pdf

Sorry about all this confusion, and I do appreciate your frustration on this topic.

Ciara

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Twitter: @Ciara_B_HP
Top Student
sdhpu
Message 54 of 106 (646 Views)

I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER HP PRINTER!!  I am going to take my HP black catridge I paid 69 dollars for back to Sams Club and buy a Printer with black ink for $75. Then I am going to throw this HP 6700 printer in the garbage. 

Tutor
oceanbob
Message 55 of 106 (624 Views)

I agree these printers are ink eaters and need to go. Just spent the $$$ on all new HP cartridges to get a b&w shipping slip to print and a couple of months later after printing maybe 20 more pages the cyan is now low! You have to be joking - what happened to the 100's of pages. I think I got less than I did with the started pack that came with this horrible thing. I had an old HP930 that would run for a year on a set of ink, this new 6700 is just unaffordable in its ink usage. Class action sounds like the plan.

Top Student
clueless3si
Message 56 of 106 (529 Views)

More like $80!!  Great post

Top Student
clueless3si
Message 57 of 106 (528 Views)

Hi Ciara,

How could the average consumer ever know about this difference?

Top Student
clueless3si
Message 58 of 106 (528 Views)

See above comment that you can only use HP cartridges because there is a chip in them to recognize them as original manufacturer's.  

Top Student
clueless3si
Message 59 of 106 (528 Views)

According to this thread--THERE IS NO WAY!

Top Student
clueless3si
Message 60 of 106 (528 Views)

Spoiler
Hello,
Spoiler

Spoiler
Did you ever replace the color cartridges since you bought it?  The ones that came with it were very low on ink.  From what I have read here on this thread this printer is a piece of sh** and uses a ton of ink.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation