Officejet 6700 won't print black only with depleted cartridges (11645 Views)
Honor Student
CMBotsch
Message 1 of 40 (11,645 Views)

Officejet 6700 won't print black only with depleted cartridges

[ Edited ]

Greetings All,

I am receiving a message that the Yellow and Magenta cartridges are depleted and cannot resume printing until they are replaced.

Isn't there an option on this model to print in black only when cartridges are depleted?

Thanks All

Top Student
bear107
Message 2 of 40 (11,626 Views)

Re: Officejet 6700 won't print black only with depleted cartridges

I am having the same issue. The manual states you can print black ink without the color print cartridges but the manual conveniently leaves out how to do this. I selected to print in grayscale but the printer is giving me the same message. 

This is really frustrating to not be able to print when the black cartridge is completely full. Unless this gets resolved quickly, I will be less likely to ever purchase from HP again. Note: I am the CIO of a corporation.

Please send me a resolution quickly. 

Honor Student
CMBotsch
Message 3 of 40 (11,623 Views)

When I spoke to Tech Support yesterday evening, they told me that this model does not print with only the black despite what the manual says.  Had I known that about this model, I would not have purchased it.

I am usually very happy with HP products and service but this is a ridiculous pain in the derriere when all 4 cartridges must be replaced to simply use the black printer-not to mention the expense.

I seriously have not printed much in color-only use for document printing.

Why they have to underlay black with yellow is beyond me.

Not only that, but it is not readily obvious how to adjust settings to black only.

Distinguished Professor
Shirlzz1
Message 4 of 40 (11,608 Views)

CMBotsch- I have sent you issue to the appropriate people. They will be in contact with you by way of a private message send to your forum inbox. 

I am a former employee of HP...
How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved?
Top Student
bear107
Message 5 of 40 (11,599 Views)

CMBotsch,

Any luck on HP responding and providing a solution? If they do not correct this I will not purchase another HP product.

Top Student
JohnTee1956
Message 6 of 40 (11,511 Views)

I feel your pain. I just bought a black cartridge for my All-in-1 HP 6600 OfficeJet, because it told me I couldn't print until I replaced the depleted cartridge. I did so and it still gives me the same message, even though I have carefully configured the software to only print in black ink. It's still taking about the depleted yellow cartridge, and the magenta cartridge, etc.  I don't give a flying rat's ass about these color cartridges, I just want to print in black ink, which is why I bought a (genuine HP) black cartridge only!!  

Why can't I print just in black?!! The cheapest filthy piece of crap **bleep** printer in the universe allows this. As someone else in this forum before me has noted, the printer user guide says YOU CAN DO THIS. It seems obvious you should, right? And I've learned on this forum that in spite of the manual's claim that it allows you to print in black only, it seems this is a flat-out lie. Turns out it won't allow this until I peel off $70 or $80 for color cartridges I DON'T WANT.  I can't even talk to a human on chat, until they verify your serial no, and verify your warranty, which it says just expired. It wasn't that long ago when I shelled out $150 for this useless piece of driven **bleep** garbage printer, that printers half its price would put to **bleep**ing shame. On top, I never called Tech Support once and figure out my own problems. You dirty, filthy, rotten **bleep**ing scoundrels and **bleep**ing [Text Deleted] at HP. I hereby pledge NEVER, EVER, to by one of your products EVER again.  If I had the power to re-introduce hanging, I'd do it in a heartbeat for these calculating devious pieces of driven scum.

Regents Professor
lions99
Message 7 of 40 (11,496 Views)

@JohnTee1956, are all of your cartridges full while it's giving you the error message, or are the empty giving you this issue? 

Also, remember if you find any of my post helpful or want to say thanks make sure to click the white star under my name to give me Kudos.

I really appreciate it!

Thanks!

Also, remember if you find this post helpful or want to say thanks make sure to click the white star under my name to give me Kudos.

I really appreciate it!

Thanks!

I work for HP
Top Student
JohnTee1956
Message 8 of 40 (11,489 Views)

Hi. Thank you for your reply.

So...are you just asking me this question because this would only be a problem if I were receiving this error in a situation where in reality, the cartridges were full, and I were receiving some sort of false positive, and that this wouldn't really be a problem otherwise, -the fact that I can't print in black only, just because the color cartridges are empty??

Because if so, not only are you insulting my intelligence, you are dismissing my problem.

The error message I received refers ONLY to the color cartridges, not to the black. Well, I think it's safe to assume that I get this error message because the color cartridges are depleted, right? Or would I be getting this error if they were full? You tell me.

As far as I remember, I didn't use the color cartridges a lot. I print mostly in black for my needs. I believe also that because of good old-fashioned good business practices, the cartridges, when new, are half-empty anyway, to force you to buy new ones as soon as possible, which would make perfect sense to me, in a topsy-turvy, up is down, back is front, twisted everything-you-know-is-wrong business world.

If you read my post properly, you'll see that I says I replaced the black cartridge. I also know It is correctly installed. I even pulled it out and replaced it carefully in again to make sure. There's nothing to it.  When it's properly installed, you hear a satisfying click. That's it.

Can I at least receive some sort of official information from the HP side, one way or another, to tell me if the User Guide is lying about the 6600's ability to print in black anyway, independently?  The printer says you can, but not how. -Nice touch, HP.  Or is there some hidden configuration that allows this?

If it's not possible to print in black alone with depleted cartridges, then this can only be interpreted as a feature of the printer. If so, that's not by accident, but design, to force unsuspecting customers to fork out money for ALL the cartridges. If so, to call this unethical on HP's part would make me the master of under-statement.

Software-wise, I have configured the printer under Properties > Advanced > "Print All Text as Black = Enabled.

Or, if the manual is telling the truth, and black can be used independently, would you please end my misery and tell me how!!

Thank you.

Top Student
bear107
Message 9 of 40 (11,461 Views)

HP,

Thanks for never responnding to my questions. I am assuming this is because the answer is not what the customer wants but what HP wants. 

I look forward to the next HP sales rep calling me to sell my company their products.

Give em heck JohnTee1956

Top Student
JohnTee1956
Message 10 of 40 (11,453 Views)

So, CMBotsch, do I understand that it was HP told you that black as a printer color is "underlaid" with yellow? Or how did you come by this tid-bit? I'm no printer color expert, but would have thought black was a simple color, not a complex one. I can't prove it, but either this is a makey-up, or they've deliberately somehow tied black into the complex color universe for profit.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation