Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

There is a similar thread on this for the Officejet 6700, but I wanted to put it out there for the Officejet 7110 too.

When one of the color cartridges is getting LOW on ink, you start getting error messages for black and white printing. A prompt asks you if you want to print in just black ink, even though you have set all the settings in the dialog to black ink only. Strange, but at least you can keep printing in black ink only. Until...

When one of the color cartridges becomes EMPTY, you get totally cut off from printing in black ink only! You will be allowed to print NOTHING until you put in a new color cartridge!

I don't actually need to print color on this printer. I use it for half size check plots of engineerings drawings. Why on Earth would I need color cartridges to print black ink only checkplots? This is a total scam by HP to milk every last penny from the consumer.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

I am sorry that you are having a problem with the cartridges not printing black without the colors. 

Some older model printers are able to print without the color cartridgs. 

Most of the new ones, you will need to have all cartridges in order to fully function. The color cartridges mix together within the black to print out a true black color. 

That's why it doesn't work without the colors. It is trying to mix them, but they are empty. 

**Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Please mark a reply "ACCEPTED AS SOLUTION" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
HP Recommended

I see. So, what you are telling me is that the $31.99 ***BLACK*** ink cartridge has inferior ink and can't print ***Black*** without having to purchase the $30.99 Color Combo-pack to correct the color of the HP ***Black*** ink.

Rudy, please pass this message on to the appropriate HP department...

After using the sub-par HP Officejet 7110 printer for 5 months, I can safely say that I will not be purchasing any more HP products. Further, even though my C4180 all-in-one is still functioning perfectly, I will replace it with another manufacturer's printer so that I do not have to continue purchasing high priced, inferior HP ink.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

I wont ever buy another HP printer due to this problem with the printer not working when any of the color cartridges are out of ink. It needs to have an override mode to pull only from the black in cartridge if all you want is a black print out.

HP Recommended

I agree as well. HP was typically my first option when selecting printing/copying products. Now, due to the Officejet 7110 and its mounting issues, I have begin to look at other companies. If asked, I would not recommend the HP Officejet 7110.

HP Recommended

We have purchased this printer on pretext that company name is very reputed & it is good brand, now since last one month we are not able to work on printer, first it was highlighting for replacing the black cartridge, once we got it from market, after replacing the same, magenta color started blinking, as it is not easily available in market, i got it after placing online order, now today, i got it but now it started highlighting blue ink. First of all, as we are taking only black cartridges, why color cartridges required. IF it is mandate, so it should tell to replace all ink cartridges in one go. Today I admit, my choice was wrong, i should not go for this printer.  Is there any solution to get it working or we require to sell it off. IS there any buy back scheme of HP.

HP Recommended

Hello there! Welcome to the forums @Printeroff7110 ,

I read your post and wanted to respond to you in regards to the Officejet 7110 printer not printing in black with other depleted cartridges. If the printer is in an error state, and what I mean by that is, if the printer is requesting for a cartridge to be replaced as it's depleted, the functionality will not be there until the cartridge is replaced and the error goes away. You can however, change your print settings on your computer to print in black ink only to reduce ink consumption, however you cannot print with empty ink cartridges in the printer.

Here is an article I would also like to add for additional information:

Printing with Depleted Cartridges

Thank you for posting in the community, have a wonderful day!Smiley Happy

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Thank you for prompt reply, if all cargridges need to replace, printer should blink all lights in one go, not one by one, so that all cartriages replacment should be done in single go. Secondly would you help me out to change the printer setting to work only on black cartriage, Regards

HP Recommended

I signed up for this forum just so I could respond to this thread.

After looking for an HP email address for support (that was also a joke), turns out its not simply a printer setting you can disable.

We also purchased this OfficeJet 7110 printer for strict use of black at the office.

Years and years of everyone saying, "Don't buy HP products, stop buying HP products, HP products are inferior." - to rephrase nicely.

Thought I would give it a shot, right out of the box the alignment was screwed up and took about 8 hours to fix and reprint the testing sheet (further sapping the colour cartridges). Now I can't even print in black. This nonsense about mixing colour to create a more true black, that's the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Let me print in gray if the ink quality you supply is so terrible.

Will not buy another HP product again, and I will joint he hoard of many who will spread the good word.

To put it bluntly; HP - get your **shhit-frawking-bleep** together.

HP Recommended

Did not get any reply from HP, Is this way, they treat their customers. We feel like cheated by buying this product. even though at this point of stage, no one is bothering to help us. After sale service is very poor. already got a hit of Rs. 20K & now requesting every one to not to go for HP products as they are not going to assist you, once you get in trouble with their product.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.