Question

Honor Student
westg
Message 1 of 5 (2,415 Views)

Officejet Pro 8500 A909g printhead or cartridge problem?

Officejet Pro 8500 A909g said magenta was low.  I put in an unopened HP cartridge (not a refill). I get the message about genuine HP cartridges recognized and printhead alignment starts.  I'm assuming there are two printhead alignments because the message appears twice.  But it seems to fail on the second one and returns to the "low magenta" message.

At the time, I kept trying to reseat the cartridge, manually trying a printhead alignment - nothing worked.  Finally pulled out all the cartridges and found the cartridge tray swimming in magenta ink.  I thought the new cartridge must have been defective, so I bought another, cleaned the tray as best I could and put in the just bought cartridge but the same thing happens.

Is this likely to be fixed if I followed some cleaning steps?  Or replaced the printhead if cleaning didn't work?  Or is it more likely that I'll need to send the printer in for a bigger overhaul?

thanks,

gary

Honor Student
westg
Message 2 of 5 (2,383 Views)

Re: Officejet Pro 8500 A909g printhead or cartridge problem?

I'm adding to the original post.  The most recent magenta cartridge is also dumping ink into the cartridge tray so it seems clear that there's a blockage somewhere.  I pulled out the cyan/magenta printhead and cleaned it but there was no obvious problem like excessive ink smeared on any of it's surfaces. 

The printer hasn't once shown a message saying that there's a problem with the printhead so I'm not sure that buying a new one would fix anything.  For all I know, the blockage is in the tube that must run from the output of the cartridge to the input on the printhead.  I can't see any way for me to try to clear that.

I've now spent $50+ on two magenta cartridges but the ink only winds up in the cartridge tray.

Honor Student
dixieharper
Message 3 of 5 (2,371 Views)

It seems the moon is in a bad sign westg. I had this exact problem right before the weekend. My magenta cart. was replaced on 7-17 along with a cyan. The cyan is working perfect. I got "not enough ink to complete job" message even though I was printing a black text letter. Bought a new HP 940 Magenta, installed it and got the same message. On closer inspection,

I found a bunch of ink puddled under the cartridges. All diagnostic self-tests are good showing no existing problems. I haven't pulled the printhead yet as you did, not real sure how yet, that's how I ended up here searching for a solution.

My printer is a Officejet Pro 8500 A909a, but would assume it's close enough to be the same problem. Now it won't even print in Black Only. It's only 18 mos. old and not used for a business so usage is not that heavy. I wonder if there was a bad batch of magenta ink mfg??? Like you , I'm out $50 ink and I really can't afford to run out a buy a new printer. The last HP printer I had lasted 6 yrs. A little disappointed to say the least.

Please someone out there offer some help on this. Sorry for the long post but "sitting dead in the water" doesn't agree with me very well. I'll keep checking  back for any helpful posts.

Dixie 

Honor Student
westg
Message 4 of 5 (2,367 Views)

Hi Dixie,

In the end, I found that I could go to OfficeDepot and get the next model (Officejet Pro 8500a 910) for $179 and then an additional $50 off when I traded in the dead 909g.  This was the same price as HPs online special and I really needed to sort this out because my wife needs the printer for some work she's doing.  Considering that the only DIY option was the $60 printhead (that might not fix the problem), I figured double that amount for a new printer was worth it.

DO be careful if you move your printer.  I wasn't careful enough and magenta ink droplets hit the carpet.  Plus there was ink on the table underneath the printer, which dissolved the finish where it puddled.  Obviously I didn't get it mopped up well enough inside the printer.

regards,

gary

Honor Student
dixieharper
Message 5 of 5 (2,341 Views)

Hello Gary,

Finally made my way back to see if any good news arrived. Have been researching printers and ink costs since my last post.

I did pull the print head to discover that the magenta and cyan are combined on one head. Still can't figure out why one would work and not the other. Couldn't locate any more info on this unique problem. I do like the 8500 and my research told me no other comparible printer could touch the longevity of the ink cartridges, didn't come close. A local computer repair shop said that on printers, it usually was not cost effective to repair but better to buy new and get a a new warrenty. I shop at Office Depot also so here's hoping there's a good deal at my local one as well.

Thanks for the "moving tip". I did use a lot of kleenex to sop up the mess but after 2 full cart. empting there most likely will be more.

Regards from the "Sunny South"

Dixie 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation