Question

Tutor
Melissa2012B
Message 1 of 4 (113 Views)

Officejet Pro 8500A Premium - can't this printer work without color cartridges?

I've used very little color printing since getting this printer, yet every so often, it interrupts a B&W print job, to tell me to replace a color cartridge, and it refuses to continue until I do! This is stressful when I'm trying to print a B&W job that my client needs!

But say I even didn't want to print in color anymore and just wanted it to work only in B&W. isn't this printer capable of that?

And is it using color every time it prints B&W documents for me, even though I have the defaults set to ONLY print B&W?

Provost
banhien
Message 2 of 4 (104 Views)

Re: Officejet Pro 8500A Premium - can't this printer work without color cartridges?

Hi,

Please read the following article:

http://h10060.www1.hp.com/pageyield/articles/us/en/InkUseage.html

Printers need inks to work, w/o ink they will stop even during the warming up process.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Tutor
Melissa2012B
Message 3 of 4 (91 Views)

Re: Officejet Pro 8500A Premium - can't this printer work without color cartridges?

So it appears that these printers are designed to use up colors, even when the user is printing ONLY B&W, and will not work without constantly buying color inks. I see. It must be very profitable for HP anyway, but not so much for the user.

I suppose I should look for a B&W only inkjet next time...

Provost
banhien
Message 4 of 4 (78 Views)

Hi,

Not just HP, it's the technology. I only have 3 IIC printers for testing in my house: one HP, one Canon and one Epson, they are all the same.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation