Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus
Windows 7

My Officejet Pro 8600 Plus printer will not print cyan blue.  Instead, it prints in light pink wherever it should be blue.  I have tried changing the cyan cartridge (which is an HP new 951 brand), running clean printhead tool repeatedly, and even did a semi-full reset.  None of these has helped.  The ink level shows as 3/4 full.  Any suggestions on what else to do to get the blue color to print?  This printer is less than 9 months old.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi nebold,

I'm sorry your printer is having issues printing blue. I see you have already troubleshooted, as well. Smiley Happy

Have you tried the troubleshooting steps in this doc: Fixing Print Quality Problems for the HP Officejet Pro 8600 e-All-in-One Printer Series?

-- ReverseTalk
I work on behalf of HP.
Click the thumbs up + button to thank me. Mark Accepted Solution if I solved your inquiry.
HP Recommended

Yes, I have done everything except change paper.  I would think that most standard multipurpose white copy paper would be the same, and wouldn't cause blue to print pink.  Just ran the Print Quality Diagnostic Page.  Lines are straight and connected.  There was a small line in the red color block, but what should have been a blue block now comes out as a greyish green.  So, ran another printhead cleaning, which came out the same as before -- no blue.  Where blue should be is light pink to orange brown.

HP Recommended

Hi Nebold,

You are right that paper color is not the issue.  Print colors are not pure, so that to make blue, color printers have to add two ink colors (in a subtractive system one adds magenta and yellow to get red, eg).  It sounds, unfortunately, like the cyan head is clogged, since the greyish green during the setup suggests a print head problem.  I work more on the laser side, so I am not sure of the warranty return on the new cyan you put in, but I would sure ask at the retail store you got it from if it is as new as you mentioned. 

Dovid

I am an HP Employee
I work in Laser Jet Printing ((;-)>
The opinions expressed here are my own and not those of HP. Kudos are always appreciated if I have helped you.
HP Recommended

If you have a defective cartridge or printhead, it might be under warranty. To check the warranty on your ink supplies, go to hp.com/go/learnaboutsupplies , select your country/region, and then review the limited warranty information for your supplies.

You could try cleaning the printhead again (sometimes it takes several cleanings to unclog the printhead). Did you go through the different levels/stages of cleaning the printhead? Going through each level of cleaning up to three times could work--although it uses a lot of ink.

-- ReverseTalk
I work on behalf of HP.
Click the thumbs up + button to thank me. Mark Accepted Solution if I solved your inquiry.
HP Recommended

I have two of these printers and I have the same problem with BOTH I change all the ink and have never used the blue becaue it never uses it. Always comes out pink. This is driving me crazy. I will never buy another one of these printers. If you ever come up with a solultion, please let me know because I can't print anything that looks right. thank you.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.