Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 8625
Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Purchased my 3rd or 4th hp all-in-one printer for my small medical rehab business, hp officejet pro 8625 in January 2015 from Costco. Have used Costco for refilling ink cartridges (98 last one) with no problems and appreciated the cost reduction for business. NOW apparently the rules have changed and 8625 refilled black ink cartridge does not work in any way, after trying many "suggestions" found online. Interesting hp support page online said "yes you can refill cartridges, but would you want to?" seems very misleading. Also, I can find no statements in my hp operating manual that says my new printer WILL NOT PRINT on refilled ink cartridges.

Surely there must be a way, as I don't believe that hp would want a million unsatisfied hp customers who might be interested in a class action law suit because highly pertinent facts were withheld from the consumer? Please, do tell how to bypass this erroneous setting that hp has installed to hijack my printer's bottom line. Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Actually there are more than a million customers using refilled ink just fine. It appears that maybe Costco damaged your cartridges. To check it might be wise to install brand new HP Ink to check to see if everything is OK with the printer or you damaged the printer some how. http://www.howtogeek.com/174232/htg-explains-why-is-printer-ink-so-expensive/

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Actually there are more than a million customers using refilled ink just fine. It appears that maybe Costco damaged your cartridges. To check it might be wise to install brand new HP Ink to check to see if everything is OK with the printer or you damaged the printer some how. http://www.howtogeek.com/174232/htg-explains-why-is-printer-ink-so-expensive/

HP Recommended

Thanks to sabretooth for the suggestion. After two refilled "oops" trips to Costco, the manager agreed that they had most likely inadvertently damaged my cartridge. And here's why I do love Costco in spite of an occasional oops--they promptly gave me new cartridges and apologized for all the trips I had made. And just to make sure, the pro ink guy, checked out the old refilled cartridge, changed the chip, and asked me to give him feedback re whether it was a viable cartridge. As it turned out, it was not and the brand new ink cartridge worked without any problems. So no damage to the hp8625, and after 5 days, I finally got to print company documents again. Thank you for the support and suggestions. Kudos!

HP Recommended

I have recently had this problem.  When I originally bought the cartridges from Costco I bought two XL 950's.  We specifically spent more on this printer because it was on the list of cartridges that Costco refills.  We where concerned with our price per page bottom line.  Now both original cartridges have run out.  We got both refilled promptly.  The first one to go out we got refilled and then stored in the drawer for when it would be needed.  When the second original cartridge ran out we attempted to use it, but with no luck.  Our printer insists that the cartridge is damaged.  It looks perfect.

Costco replaced the chip on the cartridge, but to no avail.

So we tried the other cartridge, thinking perhaps we waited too long to use the refilled one.  Still no luck.  The printer says the exact same thing.  Damaged cartridge.

Interestingly, we can "trick" the printer into printing a page here and there, by restarting.  It doesn't always work, but when it does the pages that it prints are perfect.  No problems at all.

I am very frustrated and about to test out Costco's awesome customer service and return the evil thing that we have in NO way gotten our money's worth out of.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.