Question

Tutor
natey2
Message 1 of 3 (310 Views)

One original Intro cartridge no longer recognized by HP Officejet 6500a Plus printer

[ Edited ]

The original "Intro" Magenta cartridge in my HP 6500a Plus is no longer recognized by the printer.
The other "Intro" color cartridges (cyan and yellow) have a little ink left, and are recognized, along with a non-Intro HP black cartridge.
I didn't use this printer a lot. What would cause just one cartridge to no longer be recognized by the printer?
I can't use this printer at all now because of this. Not even for black-only printing... Not even for scanning!

Edit:

More info: The Magenta cartridge has an expiry of 2013/08, and the other 2 color cartridges have an expiry of 2013/09.

Hmm.. are these cartridges designed to self-destruct about 6 months after expiry, even if they have some useable ink left in them?

In a month or so, will the other 2 quit being recognized as well?

I get:
Ink System has failed (0xc19a0020)
Ink System has failed (0xc19a0022)

See attached pics for cartridge specific messages:

all.JPGmagenta.JPGcyan.JPGblack.JPG

I've done Solution one: Reset the printer.
Done Solution two: Remove, clean, and reinstall the printhead.
Done Solution three: Reset the product (looks like the first solution).

I'm going to but a new Magenta cartridge and see if the problem goes away..

Tutor
natey2
Message 2 of 3 (288 Views)

Re: One original Intro cartridge no longer recognized by HP Officejet 6500a Plus printer

[ Edited ]

I just discovered the Embedded Web Server on my E710n-z printer. Very cool! :smileyhappy:
But it shows conflicting information from what the LCD panel shows:
(it shows the printer head as damaged)

HP6500a_info.jpg

And here, it recognizes the Magenta cartridge as empty:

HP6500a_inks6.jpg

I only printed 132 pages in the lifetime of this printer and the head is gone? :smileysad:

HP6500a_pages.jpg

Tutor
natey2
Message 3 of 3 (263 Views)

Re: One original Intro cartridge no longer recognized by HP Officejet 6500a Plus printer

I replaced the magenta cartridge, and the printer (HP 6500a Plus) recognizes the cartridge as full, but still gives the error "Ink System has failed (0xc19a0020)" on startup.
I've tried the very-last-resort hot-water-soak treatment on the printhead too.

So, should I try $6 91% isopropyl alcohol technique (see attached image) now, or should I give up on that printhead?

inkjet_cleaner.JPG

(some EPSON inkjet printer owners endorse the isopropyl alcohol method of cleaning clogged inkjets)

A new printhead plus cyan and yellow cartridge would cost me $100.
Unfortunately, there is no guarantee that the printer will work after that too...

This was a very good printer when it worked for the 132 pages that it printed in its lifetime.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation