Question

Top Student
ctom
Message 1 of 3 (220 Views)
Accepted Solution

PhotoSmart 6520 Print Quality Diagnostic no grayscale

Have a PhotoSmart 6520 printer that has worked well for 6 months.  Used several black cartridges over the 6 months.

Ran out of black ink again and replaced the cartridge, new cartridge would not work at all.  So put in another, which seemed to work at first, but when printing black in any darkness other than full black there is little to no ink dispensed.  However, it will still print black text. 

Now after changing printer cartridges twice, when printing the "Print Quality Diagnostic" page, all the text prints out fine, but the grayscale bars do not print at all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 3 (201 Views)

Re: PhotoSmart 6520 Print Quality Diagnostic no grayscale

Are your color cartridges working?  Light grayscale areas are typically printed using the color inks to give better print quality.  (The black ink droplets are much larger than the color, grayscale using color gives better prints.)  Depending on your operating system there may be a setting in the driver for "Print in Grayscale".

Check the color print quality as shown in the document here.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Top Student
ctom
Message 3 of 3 (198 Views)

Re: PhotoSmart 6520 Print Quality Diagnostic no grayscale

I discoverd the answer in the forums!

The cartridge was not vented properly.  I used a knife to scrape back the plastic & glue covering the vent area and it now works.  Odd thing is we apparently had two or maybe even three cartridges in a row that were not venting properly.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation