Question

Student
CarolineT
Message 1 of 8 (535 Views)

Photosmart 5524 won't print black or yellow

I purchased a Photsmart 5524 approximately 1 month ago and was able to successfully print about 5 pages before the printouts stopped showing black and yellow. The estimated ink levels indicated they were about 30% full, but after cleaning printhead, aligning printer and doing various tests still the black and yellow was not printing. I was disappointed that i got so few prints from the printer but was advised that the ink cartridges that come with the printer are smaller than usual ones, and they need to fill the print head etc, so i went and purchased a pack of fresh cartridges (HP 364).

I put the new cartridges in and saw the estimated ink levels go up to 100%. But still when i print, it does not print black or yellow! I have tried again to do the cleaning printhead function, align printer (which would not work because no black printed on printout).

I am furious because I've wasted multiple pages of expensive HP premium plus photopaper printing out rubbish images with half the colours missing, not to mention the cost of the ink.

I'm on the verge of sending the printer back to the shop under warranty, but please advise if there is anything else i can do?

HP Support Agent
Waterboy71
Message 2 of 8 (495 Views)

Re: Photosmart 5524 won't print black or yellow

Hi CarolineT,

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I am sorry to hear that you are having issues when it comes to printing black and yellow.  So I can better assist you, Please respond with which Operating System you are running as well as the exact printer model number.

Which Windows Operating System am I running?

Mac OS X: How Do I Find Which Mac OS X Version Is on My Computer?

How Do I Find My Model Number?

Thank you for your time and I await your response.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

W a t e r b o y 71
I work on behalf of HP
Honor Student
hbakhda
Message 3 of 8 (394 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I am probably breaking the process a little, but I wanted to add to this discussion. I have the same problem has the previous person, in that despite a fresh ink cartridge, cleaning and aligning heads, venting the cartridge, all the colours print, but black.

I have checked and this seems to be a significant problem. What is doubly frustrating is that the warranty on my printer ran out 2 weeks ago. 

Please advise me and the previous poster, what we can do to address this issue on a relatively expensive printer.

Thanks.

p.s. Operating system is XP (upgrading to Win 7 over the weekend), model is 5524, product number is CX047B.

HP Support Agent
Waterboy71
Message 4 of 8 (388 Views)

Hello hbakhda,

Please let me take a moment to say "Welcome" to the HP Forums.

I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

Thank you for the product information as well as the operating system you are using on your computer.

Please click on the following link for when the Printer Does Not Print Black Ink or Color Ink, or Prints Blank Pages.

Please write me back if you are still having issues.

If I don't hear from you today, I hope you have a Fantastic Wednesday.

Cheers,    :smileyvery-happy:

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

W a t e r b o y 71
I work on behalf of HP
Honor Student
hbakhda
Message 5 of 8 (385 Views)

Thanks for the quick reply. Alas, I had reviewed the webpage you provided and went through the steps as outlined with no better result. 

Any other suggestions?

HP Support Agent
Waterboy71
Message 6 of 8 (381 Views)

Hi again hbakhda,

Thank you so much for getting back to me with the results.

I do have another document that deals with Common Print Quality Problems.  The document covers a very large scale of printing issues and I think it will be helpful to you.

Please let me know how it turns out for you.

Thanks again,   :smileyvery-happy:

W a t e r b o y 71
I work on behalf of HP
Honor Student
hbakhda
Message 7 of 8 (361 Views)

Hello,

Thanks for sending the link. I went through all the steps (pretty much) and the diagnostc still shows no black being printed even though the black is a new HP catridge, I have cleaned and aligned the heads, vented the catridge, used good quality paper and ensured that grayscale printing was turned off. The only thing I was not sure about was the printer's own servicing. It grinds and grunts a lot, which I am assuming is servicing, but I am not sure.

Regardless, nothing has helped. I am still unable to print black. All the other colours are fine.

HP Support Agent
Waterboy71
Message 8 of 8 (357 Views)

HJello again.

If the troubleshooting does not help resolve your issue, I would then suggest calling HP's Technical Support to see about further options for you. If you are calling within North America, the number is 1-800-474-6836 and for all other regions, click here: click here.

Thank you for your time. It has been a pleasure working with you.

Cheers,

W a t e r b o y 71
I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation