Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

All cartridges were printing fine until I replaced the black 564 with a 564xl.  Now all I get is black.  The printer shows the ink levels in the color cartridges are over half full, I checked all the cartridges to make sure they weren't plugged, I reseated all the cartridges, ran "clean printhead," still no color.  Do all the cartridges have to be an "xl" or can I use a mix?  Now what?  This printer is barely a year old.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello Sandy16, and welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience!

I see you are experiencing color out issues.  I would like to help.

I would recommend removing the ink cartridges and performing a power reset. Disconnect the power cord from the printer and the power outlet, then wait 60 seconds. After 60 seconds, plug the printer back in. Ensure you plug the printer directly to a wall outlet. Make sure to bypass any sort of surge protector or power bar.

I would then recommened following the steps laid out in this document on Fixing Ink Streaks, Faded Prints, and Other Common Print Quality Problems.

Good luck and please let me know the results of your troubleshooting steps. Thank you for posting on the HP Forums!

Please click “Accept as Solution " if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks" for helping!

Jamieson
I work on behalf of HP

"Remember, I'm pulling for you, we're all in this together!" - Red Green.
HP Recommended

Thank Jamieson.  I put the color cartridges in another model HP printer and got the same results.  I'll just get new color cartridges.  If the problem exists, I'll follow your suggestion.  Thanks again!

HP Recommended

Replacing the ink cartridges did work.  What disturbs me is the printer showing my previous cartridges were still half full.  So was the printer's ink-level detector not working or were the cartridges still half full?  I have no way of knowing.  I'm irritated I paid around $33 for the C/M/Y cartridges, they still showed half full, but wouldn't work.   HP offers great printers for a great price.  I'm just tired of inconsistent results with the ink and how often I have to buy the cartridges. 

HP Recommended

Hi @Sandy16 ,

I just sent you a private message. If you are not sure how to check your forum messages, this post has instructions.

Please click “Accept as Solution " if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks" for helping!

Jamieson
I work on behalf of HP

"Remember, I'm pulling for you, we're all in this together!" - Red Green.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.