Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have just replaced the black cartridge in a Photosmart 6520, and it will not print in black. The color cartridges print fine.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Summer2

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Thanks to YouTube, I have been able to fix the printer myself. The screen beneath the black cartridge was clogged. It just needed cleaning.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi @Summer2 

Is the printer within warranty? 

Black not printing

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Ink-Toner-Cartridge-Printhead-Issues/Black-not-printing/m-p/2926025

Ciara

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended
Thanks to YouTube, I have been able to fix the printer myself. The screen beneath the black cartridge was clogged. It just needed cleaning.
HP Recommended

Hi @Summer2 

Ok thanks for letting us know, glad to hear it's back working.

Ciara

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

How did you determine the screen under the cartridge was clogged and how did you clean it?

HP Recommended

How do you clean the screen beneath the cartridge?

HP Recommended

Not solved 

HP Recommended

I've tried all the potential remedies listed in the forums:  new cartridge, soak new cartridge in alcohol/water mixture, remove all cartridges and try to clean print head.  Called HP and their only solution is to replace the printer.  Offered an exchange/discount on another HP product.  This is the 3rd HP printer that has just, suddenly stopped working.  3 strikes and you're out.  HP has lost me as a customer, permanently.  I'm off to buy a competitor's product.

HP Recommended

i am in the same boat

they tried to sell me a printer

6520 will not print black and now ineed a new printer?!?!

i see someone said they have cleaned the screen but they seem to forget to say how

HP Recommended
I was ready to toss mine out. Bought a new HP. Spent 3 hours trying to install it. Took it back in disgust. HP basically sucks.
Decided to try the 6520 repair again. Had already done the alcohol & hot water cleaning. That really did clean the screens well. Amazing how much ink the paper towels sucked up. Still wouldn't print black.
Decided to check further. If you look on the right side under where the print carriage sits, I found that area soaked with gobs of black ink. The cartridges must leak. Probably why we use so much ink. Anyway it was hard to clean it all out and very messy, but I did the best I could to get out as much as possible. Now it works just fine. The other problem was the printer would not print wirelessly or recognize my hot spot. I decided just to connect with a USB. Still could not print from laptop. I could print or scan from printer, but not laptop, then realized that with USB connected I had to go to the wireless setting on printer and turn that off. It now prints from laptop. HP solutions are check cartridges, buy new ones or buy a
new printer. I hate HP. They are no help and the printers suck ink. They should give us the printers free for what the ink costs and all the aggravation it is to keep them running. Could try a different brand, but would that be any different?
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.