Question
Photosmart 6520 won't print brand new black ink cartridge
Replies (16)

Top Student
Stephy97
Message 11 of 17 (2,141 Views)

Re: Photosmart 6520 won't print brand new black ink cartridge

Oh my goodness, it totally worked, after only a couple of minutes in the hot water!!! HUGE thank you! I'm so shocked at how simple the fix was...many, many thanks to you!!

Intern
lmhjcr
Message 12 of 17 (2,123 Views)

[ Edited ]

I am so happy to hear that it worked for you too (I was just as shocked when it actually worked)!  

I tried 3 brand new cartridges and none of them would work and I really did start to think that it was the printer.  I actually started looking into getting a new printer when I found that information about clogged inkjet cartridges.   Like you it actually worked!  Before posting the fix or trying it I did some searching and there seemed to be a few links with that type of possible fix and thought it sure couldn't hurt to try it out.  Now I just have 2 other cartridges that I opened up to try and I am going to take that piece of tape that was on them and put it back on them, along with some scotch tape to keep it on there and do that same thing again with those when I need to replace this one.   

Here's hoping other folks who have also been having the same issues (with all sorts of HP printers) will see this and give it a try too!

Now I don't have to go out and get another printer!   Next time I think that I am going with a laser printer (they are a bit more expensive but the cartridges last a whole lot longer and the replacement cartridges are only a little bit more than some of these inkjet cartridges.

Top Student
Stephy97
Message 13 of 17 (2,101 Views)

I just passed your email on to someone who is having the same issue, really hope it works for them too!

And I was so going to get a new printer too but hated having to discard this one as it is still so shiny and new, lol. Good point about a laser printer, I may upgrade to one as well when I purchase a new printer in the future :smileyhappy:

Thanks again, so glad you responded! All the best to you.

Student
mbowman68
Message 14 of 17 (2,031 Views)

my black was running out so i bought a new xl one put it in and it acted like it was running out then nothing no black and i bought another and still no black help me plz

Intern
lmhjcr
Message 15 of 17 (2,004 Views)

Have you tried doing the steps above regarding clogged inkjet cartridges?

"Not sure if this will help anyone...but it did resolve my problem.   I found a couple of links on how to fix a clogged ink cartridge and even though my cartridge was brand new it turns out that it was clogged!   You may want to try following the steps for fixing a clogged ink cartridge at http://www.ehow.com/how_5431920_fix-clogged-ink-cartridges.html or http://www.ehow.com/video_4974250_manually-clean-hp-inkjet-cartridge.html     on that second link, I just followed the steps for the first option and that finally fixed the problem for me!     I tried using warm water and left the cartridge in there for about an hour with no luck but when I used hot water the next day and left it in there for about 15 minutes the cartridge was finally working!    I am not saying that it will fix your problem but I had tried 3 different (new) cartridges and none of them would work but after following steps to fix a clogged ink cartridge they all now work (now to figure out how to keep the other 2 fresh in the meantime)"

Those steps fixed my issue with one of the new cartridges that was not working for me then worked.  I had to put it into hot water (not boiling) and after about 15 minutes I moved it around in the hot water and then my cartridge worked perfectly!  I only get the XL cartridges and even tried a regular one when I had this problem.    

For my other cartridges,  I took the strip that covers the cartridge when you open the package and carefully put it back on there and taped it (don't get the tape on the copper) and then put them into a ziplock bag with as much air as possible removed from it.  Hoping that will keep them fresh until I need them - but I wanted to make sure the fix worked on more than one cartridge before I posted this fix.  I did have one cartridge that the fix did not work on - tossed that cartridge but it fixed the rest of them for me.

Hopefully it will work for you too!

Honor Student
student18
Message 16 of 17 (1,641 Views)

Dear Ciara

Have the same problem after trying all the steps - black will not print!!!

Please help!!!

THANK YOU so very much

Student18

Top Student
Rubarb
Message 17 of 17 (1,572 Views)

Had same problem, went out and bought new ink cartridges, and all but the black worked, what to do, throw in rubbish? or have a go at fixing, because I had just spent over 90 bucks on new cartridges, I thought I would have ago at fixing.

To cut a long story short, I managed to pull it apart, scratching the dining room table in the process, wife not impressed! puledl the ink dispenser apart, put white spirits in squirt bottle gave it a good squirt, put it all back together, it now works like a new one! Yippee! geez I am so clever.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation