Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I recently replaced the ink cartridges on my Photosmart 7510 C311A. These are all "genuine HP" cartridges, all full. 

The black ink (with the pentagon symbol) won't print, at all. I've run through the standard troubleshooting steps:

*Cleaning printheads

*Cleaning copper contacts

*Checking for proper venting

My colleague down the hall as the same printer so I borrowed her black ink cartridge and tried it: same problem. The printer doesn't register that there's a problem but when I run the Print Quality tests, where there should be black ink, there is absolutely none. All the other colors print correctly. 

The printer does FAIL the "Align Printer" test though doesn't offer a suggestion of what to do from there. I have not seen - in the test reports - an indiciation of poor alignment. 

Suggestions on what to do now?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
I had the same issue. I had replaced the empty black cartridge and suddenly no ink. What finally worked is
1) I removed all cartridges and cleaned copper connectors with damp qtip.
2) I got a damp paper towel and repeatedly pressed it on the silver circular vent that would be under the black cartridge. I did this until no black came up. Let it dry.
3) I replaced all cartridges and turned the printer on. I went to tools/clean cartridge. I did this a couple of times and it finally printed the black ink! I confirmed by going to tools/align and aligned the cartridges successfully. This had kept failing before when the black ink wasn't working.

View solution in original post

59 REPLIES 59
HP Recommended

Hi owang, if your printer is still in warranty I would suggest contacting phone support as you may require a replacement.

Please let me know how you get on

Thanks, Ciara

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

Unfortunately, it's not under warranty. That expired last September. 

HP Recommended

Hi, it sounds like you've done the usual troubleshooting I'd suggest (like running cleans etc). You've tried different cartridges so it sounds like it's either a printer or Printhead problem. Unfortunately as you're out of warranty you won't be able to get a replacement. You could try contacting phone support to see what kind of offer they'd give on an upgrade or repair?

Sorry I can't be of more help

Ciara

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended
I had the same issue. I had replaced the empty black cartridge and suddenly no ink. What finally worked is
2) I got a damp paper towel and repeatedly pressed it on the silver circular vent that would be under the black cartridge. I did this until no black came up. Let it dry.
3) I replaced all cartridges and turned the printer on. I went to tools/clean cartridge. I did this a couple of times and it finally printed the black ink! I confirmed by going to tools/align and aligned the cartridges successfully. This had kept failing before when the black ink wasn't working.
HP Recommended

@momathtchr wrote:

momathtchr:  You are a life-saver.  I was about to replace my 7510 printer when I came upon your idea of daubing the silver circular vent with a dampened towel.  I followed your instructions to a T and I now am printing in black.  Next, how do we get HP to include your particular technique in their cleaning instructions.  I owe you big-time!  (former engtchr in LA). 

HP Recommended

OMG you are a lifesaver, my printer has not been printing black for 6 months, I was just about to throw out my HP Photosmart 7510 and I did these easy steps and I am printing black and without having photo ink, I may add!!!

Wooo HOOO!!!!

:robothappy::smileyhappy:

HP Recommended

I am so glad this fix is helping others out! I was so relieved to know that I didn't have to throw out a perfectly good printer and spend hundreds of dollars on a new one. 

I just wonder why solution isn't mentioned by HP!

HP Recommended

Thanks so much. Wish I saw this before I opened the second 564XL cartridge. Some extra info....

The heads can be removed bu lifying a lever on the right side of the carriage. This allows removal and easier cleaning.

My black printing resumed on the second wet towel cleanout and the third tools/clean cartridge attempt. From nothing to totally clear print. Then I aligned the cartridges and I'm off again... SO math does solve all problems....

HP Recommended

I'm having the same problem just the standard black ink,but it's not the cartridge (changed with 3 different ones), it's not the contacts (three cartridges, all cleaned). and it's not the silver mesh fill tube because I had an new printhead and I changed that and still the same.  It was printing black perfectly just before.  So it must be a hard ware program, and it' sout of warranty.  And though I've bought HP printer with extended warranties purchased for about 15 years, I believe HP will sell me a "reconditioned" printer, but not for the best price.  I've found the sales to be better, and you get the full warranty rather than just 90 days which HP provides with reconditioned.  I'm going to keep trying to clean contacts especially from the bring head to the printer, but still no luck.  Fortunately printers are still fairly cheap.  Too bad the cartridges aren't.  

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.