Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Level 2 cleaning? I can't find level 2 cleaning on my computer anywhere or the touch screen on the printer. Are you talking about on the printer touch screen? If so it should be under the wrench (Settings then Tools ) My options are:

Print Status Repoort

Print Quality Report

Clean Cartridges

Align Printer

On my computer under All Programs - HP -  HP Photoshop 7510 series -

Under HP 7510 Series I have:

Help

HP 7510

HP Scan

HP setup and software ( connecting a new printer)

Product support

Shop

uninstall

The level 2 cleaning is the only thing I have not tried. This all started out of the blue. I am on hour 5 of messing with this and I still can't print in black.

I have cleaned cartridge 6 times

aligned printer 5 times and failed.

I removed all cartridges cleaned with q-tips and cleaned round ports on printer head.

And finally I removed printer head and soaked in 2" of hot water for ten minutes and dried and it still failed alignment.

At this point all my cartridges are almost empty and will cost me more money to buy cartridges than a new printer. I have printed 17 test sheet!

I have owned many HP printers over the years and I am done with HP after this if I don't get a reply from someone on how to get to step 2 cleaning.

My time should be worth something!

I am using a windows 7 PC.

HP Recommended

I have the HP 7510. I am having issues with the large cartridge black ink not showing in the printer status report or any report for that matter. When I started out it showed all my cartridges were full .  I replaced the large black cartridge even though it wasn't even half empty just in case  and I still can not print in black. This issue did not start after installing a new cartridge or any kind of update on my computer. I have cleaned my cartridges 5x. I have align printer heads and failed six times. I have removed the cartridges and cleaned the heads with damp cotton q-tips. I finally removed the printer head and soaked in two inches of very hot water for 10 minutes as suggested and dried thoroughly . I really thought that was going to fix it. So I did a final clean cartridge and it still shows no black ink. After doing all of these print tests 17 total most of my ink cartridges are about empty. The only thing that I have not done is to use level 2 that someone suggested after cleaning to select level 2 and I cannot find it on the touch screen of the printer or in my programs for the printer on my computer.

I have done everything except the  level 2 cleaning which I can't find. I am not going to buy new cartridges for a printer that isn't printing and I am not buying another HP if I can't get this to work in the next day.

HP Recommended

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post serial numbers and case details.

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, this post has instructions.

RnRMusicMan
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

HP Recommended

I also had the same trouble with my printer and since I am based in India and have a model for use in America only, no one was willing to touch it with a barge pole. Therefore, before finally discarding it, I tried the following :-

a) Removed the printer head and washed it under running tap water to remove all dried ink/obstructions. Dried it thoroughly with a dryer and reinstalled it.

b)  Gently,cleaned the contact points on the print head with a normal eraser, to make them shine.(Remember Gently).

c) Gently cleaned the chip underneath the cartridge with an eraser, till all deposits were removed.(Remember Gently).

And wow, my printer which had the perpetual problem of "Alignment Failed", for the first time showed "Alignment successful" and off course all the cartridges are working perfectly, in unison.

And one more thing, I am using the Chinese "Refillable Cartridges", topped up with local nondescript ink.

HP Recommended

@momathtchr wrote:
I had the same issue. I had replaced the empty black cartridge and suddenly no ink. What finally worked is
1) I removed all cartridges and cleaned copper connectors with damp qtip.
2) I got a damp paper towel and repeatedly pressed it on the silver circular vent that would be under the black cartridge. I did this until no black came up. Let it dry.
3) I replaced all cartridges and turned the printer on. I went to tools/clean cartridge. I did this a couple of times and it finally printed the black ink! I confirmed by going to tools/align and aligned the cartridges successfully. This had kept failing before when the black ink wasn't working.

AWESOME!!!  This worked for me... I was just about to take the new cartridge back and see about replacement.  Working great now!

Thanks!

Robert from the Land of OZ

PS. I invite you to visit "www.mormon.org"

HP Recommended

I also have to give you kudos for this simple and very effective solution. I had thrown away 2 new black cartridges thinking they may have been defective or expired.

I followed your steps exactly and my printer is now printing like a new one.

Thanks again!

HP Recommended

I was able to get the black print working by following the directions noted by others. At first, it was a little better.  I used a combination of Q tips and paper towels with isopropyl alcohol.  Remove the cartridge and use a dry paper towel to "blot" dry the silver vent in the print carriage. After the towel comes up relatively clean, take a Q tip and get it damp with alcohol.  It should NOT be so damp that liquid drips from it when squeezed. Use the Q tip to gently wipe the vent .  You will see more black ink on the tip. I did this four to six times with clean Q tips until the vent was very clean. Then replace the cartridge, clean all of the cartridges using the TOOLS utility of the printer. Align the cartridges using the TOOLS utility and perform a PRINT QUALITY print. After running two or three print quality reports, all was back to normal. 

HP Recommended

thank you so much for this additional information I tried everything the original post stated and nothing worked once I removed the printhead and cleaned it I am back up and running.  Just as another person stated I wish I would of read the forums before opening a second new black cartridge but, rather that than buy a new printer thank both of you for your wonderful suggestions.

HP Recommended

I am having the exact same problems! So frustrating...  I think it's to get us to buy more ink -- my cartridges weren't even close to empty, but I replaced them anyway. After doing all the steps HP suggested as well as on the forum -- NOW I'm almost out of ink again:(!  Oh, and I like the special note from HP *Your ink cartridges won't work after 30 minutes of being out of the printer* It takes that long to clean the printer head!!!

I just spent $85 dollars on ink for nothing. Then I might have to buy another printer head? Might as well buy a new printer for what I've spent today - oh, and not to mention all new ink cartridges for the new printer because the ones 'included' will last about 1 page:(:(:(:(!

I'm so mad right now.

Frustrated because I never had any 'messages/warnings/alerts' that anything was wrong until I tried to print today. Just like everyone else, the most used, most expensive cartridges (BLACK) won't print. What's even more frustrating is that it's the PHOTO cartridge that's the problem and I NEVER print photos - just black/white word documents! What stinks even more is if the photo cartridge is low forget it. You can't print ANYTHING! I have an iMac - (current on all software).

It was plugged into a surge protector but now it's plugged into the wall outlet -- no improvement. Is this machine so finicky that it knows when it's plugged into the wall versus a surge protector but can't figure out how to align itself?!?!?  Sounds like a copout to me.

The more I read how much everyone has printed test, alignments, etc., I seriously think it's HP's way of getting more money from ink sales. BOOOOOOO! 

HP Recommended

I struggled with it for hours last night. It was the black ink cartridge that wasn't printing. I troubleshoot the problem, followed the manufacturer instructions and discovered that the printer head was a total mess! I had to take it apart, to clean it with alcohol, and then put it back together once dried. I re-installed the printer head and the printer would not recognize it. I turned it off, and left it overnight. I turned it on this morning, and it recognized it. I ran an alignment, and a cartridge cleaning cycle. Black cartridge still would not print. I took the print head out, and the whole thing was a mess again. All the fresh, NEW cartridges were depleted... "Expletive" (They are very expensive!) I am guessing the cartridges leaked all night. So, I took the print head off,  removed what was left of my nearly empty ink cartridges, and set the print head assembly on a wad of paper towels to suck up all the leaked ink.

I mean is it really worth the cost to have this serviced? It could be I got a bad batch of ink cartridges, it could be the print-head; all was fine until last night. Of course... It is 'Out of Warranty' now. This was a good printer...was:HalfEyes:

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.