Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello.

I am having trouble installing replacement cartridges for the Photosmart 7520.  I place them in, locking them in place as I should and keep getting the error "One or more cartridges appear to be missing or damaged".  They are HP cartriges so that is not the problem.  I have taken them out, cleaned the sensors as it says in my troubleshooting guide.  Sometimes when I close the access door it will tell me another cartridge is not working too.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

TK

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

After getting the "One or more cartridges appear to be missing or damaged" error, I found that opening the cartridge access door and slightly wiggling the problem cartridge fixes this problem.  Close the cartridge door and see if you still get the error.  Keep wiggling the problem cartridge and this should fix the problem.  It seems to be very sensitive.

Hope this helps,

Kathy

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

Any joy if you restart the printer?

Is the printer within warranty?

'Ink Cartridge Problem,' 'Incompatible Ink Cartridge,' or 'Ink Cartridge Failure' Message Displays on the Control Panel

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03379185

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

I am having the same problem.  This has been happening off and on ever since we purchased the printerin Feb. of 2013.  We are using HP  high capacity XL cartridges and in the past all of a sudden everything works fine.  This time is it not working when we put the brand new black cartridge in (we have tried 2 different new ones) and yet when we put the old one it it is accepted, but won't print due to needing ink.  Of course it is our of warranty.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

HP Recommended

I have HP Photosmart 7520 all in printer and have replace the black cartridges witj genuine 564 cartridges

I continue to get the message one or more cartridges appear to be missing or damaged

I have taken the cartridges out and replaced I even have tried to put back the old cartridges. I have turned of the printer and also unplugged it. The message will not go away and I can not use any of the functions with the printer. Any suggestions

Jack B.

HP Recommended

Hi,

After getting the "One or more cartridges appear to be missing or damaged" error, I found that opening the cartridge access door and slightly wiggling the problem cartridge fixes this problem.  Close the cartridge door and see if you still get the error.  Keep wiggling the problem cartridge and this should fix the problem.  It seems to be very sensitive.

Hope this helps,

Kathy

HP Recommended

The wiggling didn't work for me but pulling out the printhead and cleaning those contacts up did 🙂

HP Recommended

Kathy:

Thank you for your response. My particular problem was similar but I found out through the help desk was that I was looking at the wrong cartridge it was not the cartridge I had replaced but it was another cartridge that was

adjacent to the cartridge I replaced and I did not understand the symbol that was being displayed in the error message.

Thanks,

Jack Bowes

HP Recommended

I have changed all but the small black ink cartridge (I assumed the black XL would work alone) in my hp photosmart 7520- Now it will not print anything but color and say 1 of the cartridges is defected. I left the empty one in place. I was trying to get out of spending a little more money by just buying the XL cartridge. Do I have to replace all cartridges at once in order for my printer to work? Even when there is a full black XL cartridge in place?

HP Recommended

I've been having a similar ongoing issue with my printer.

I purchased a new set of HP 564 XL cartridges (black), and it never recognizes the yellow ink cartridge, and for some odd reason, it began to tell me that the printhead was either missing, not detected or incorrectly installed. I followed the trouble shooting instructions with no luck, so I threw in the towel and I purchased a brand new HP printhead, part number CN642A, as suggested by the HP troubleshooting/support website.

I installed it upon arrival, and  the printhead error went away, but I still got the same missing cartridge error, and the only one that it will not recognize no matter what I do is the yellow cartridge.  I tried the other two old yellow cartridges, and no luck.

During removal and installation of the cartridges, sometimes I also get the cyan and magenta showing up as not being recognized along with the yellow, but after taken them and putting them back in the warning for the cyan and magenta go away, but the yellow will not go away, regardless of what I do.

I never get an error for missing black or photo cartridges.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

I despair of this problem.  My siimple HP3420 was a model of reliability. I bought the PhotoSmart 7520 in March 2013 and it has been a constant nightmare. I have wasted hours when I should be productive, removing and refitting cartridges, cleaning contacts, wiggling cartridges and surfing the 'net looking for a solution. If I breath near the cartridges they are prone to showing up as 'missing or damaged'. It makes no difference whether I use cripplingly expensive HP cartridges, HP refills or third party cartridges. There is clearly a MAJOR problem with this model and the manner in which it is constructed.

Meanwhile my daughter's printer (which I won't name in deference to this being a HP forum) operates smoothly without any problems of this type. It also has a better design allowing straight through paper runs, which makes a big difference when she prints images on thick paper/card, while the HP invariably scuffs the leading edge. I doubt that I will ever buy a HP again after this.

For what it is worth I usually get the printer to work again, but can never figure out what did the trick. As I write this magenta is not recognised, I have cleaned contacts, unpligged the cable, removed the print head cradle, and tried several genuine cartridges. On and Off the photo black comes up with the same message, and then it is okay again.  It could be any of them - this seems to be a problem across the machine, not specific to a single cartridge bay, which would suggest a local problem. Meanwhile the machine is totally useless as there is no workaround to allow me to carry on (say with black only printing. Simply dreadful.

I greatly resent the time I have wasted over the last two years with this problem.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.