Question

Top Student
diaro56
Message 1 of 15 (6,814 Views)
Accepted Solution

Photosmart 7520 black ink not working

My brand new 7520 appears to have given up work already. Black ink is out of order.

During printing it started to generate unprinted stripes and after two pages no more black ink was put on paper.

Although the almost new cartridge should still do it, I have replaced it by a new HP original brand cartridge.

The problem however persists and no black ink still put on paper.

I cannot see any physical defect.

What shall I do?

Swift feedback is appreciated.

Distinguished Professor
Rich1
Message 2 of 15 (6,795 Views)

Re: Photosmart 7520 black ink not working

Hi diaro56,

Be sure and check ink levels for all colors and replace any low inks.  A low color can cause the black to not print. 

I would run the Clean Printhead utility under Tools 2 or 3 times.  I am linking a troubleshooting document for addressing Print Quality Issues.  Click Here  Take a look at that and sees if any of those steps are helpful.  Let me know how it goes. 

Good Luck !

Also, remember a click on the Kudos star to the left is a quick "Thanks" for a helpful post.

Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question.

I appreciate your input ! ___________________________________ _____

Thank You,
Rich
Expert
Student
laguiar
Message 3 of 15 (6,743 Views)

Thank you Rich !

Honor Student
RDCOLV
Message 4 of 15 (6,448 Views)

I purchased my new HP Photosmart 7520 about 6 weeks ago and I continue to have problems with the Black Ink...it prints intermittently...when I clean the print it starts working for 10 or 20 good copies then it starts to fade and then disappear...The constant cleaning seems to use up alot of ink in all cartriges..I have spent a small fortune on ink the last several weeks...I need a solution or a neww printer.

Regards

RDCOLV

Teacher
vthapa
Message 5 of 15 (6,443 Views)

Sounds like a printhead issue. Since it is a brand new Printer call HP Tech Support (1-800-474-6836) and get the Printhead or printer replaced
Top Student
VVG1
Message 6 of 15 (6,195 Views)

This looks like a common issue with the printers sharing this printhead. It's the printhead failure, and it manifests inself in the printer stopping printing in black.

I have a one year old printer, days away from the expiration of its warranty. All of a sudden, it stopped printing black. There's lots of discussions on the internet about letting the printhead soak in warm water and similar home remedies. None of this helped me. Now HP will be replacing my printhead, this time for free. But more generally, it's too bad they can't design a printer which would last more than a year.

My previous printer C7250 developed a similar problem, the infamous "ink system failure", but unlike 7520 it doesn't have a removable printhead. So this basically just bricked my printer, had to throw it away. The cost of fixing it was more than buying a new printer.   

Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 7 of 15 (6,159 Views)

Thanks for the inputs VVG1. Can you please let us know if the replacement printhead solves your issue?

Out of interest, when you're not using the printer do you switch it off at the Power button or just plug it out at the wall? Typically how many pages per month would you print?

Black not printing

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Ink-Toner-Cartridge-Printhead-Issues/Black-not-printing/m-p/2926025

Thanks

Ciara

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Twitter: @Ciara_B_HP
Top Student
VVG1
Message 8 of 15 (6,144 Views)

Thanks for asking, Ciara_B. I will post when I receive the new printhead in the mail and install it. I kept the printer plugged in at all times and just switched it on and off using the power button, although I often just kept it on, counting on its sleep mode or whatever it is that it does when not used for a while. I owed the printer for about a year and in total printed about 650 pages on a regular paper plus about 30 photographs on a photo paper. 

Top Student
VVG1
Message 9 of 15 (6,077 Views)

I got the new printhead. But in the meanwhile, the old printhead, after I soaked it in warm water for 10 minutes and let it dry for a couple of days (while installed) started working again, started printing black and stopped giving error messages when doing "align printer"! So I'm considering continuing to use the old printhead. 

Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 10 of 15 (6,068 Views)

Hi VVG1

Yea if the old printhead is back working it might be an idea to continue using it. You can always keep the replacement printhead in it's packaging and leave it aside as a spare.

Glad the issue is resolved anyway

Ciara

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Twitter: @Ciara_B_HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation